Monday, December 1, 2014

A DC SocialPulse Special: Remembering Ryan Knight

This article was originally posted on Dec. 1, 2014, before 
the season launch of The Challenge: Battle of the Exes 2.

*** Advisory: this DC SocialPulse post contains some
brief adult language. Please read with discretion. ***

By DC Cueva
@DC408Dxtr / @DC408DxNow

Hello again everyone, welcome to this Special Edition of DC SocialPulse with me, DC Cueva. As we end the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend and enter the month of December, once again it's with a heavy heart that we present you this post as reflect on the life and times of a fun-loving and humorous young gentlemanAnd for the second time in 13 days after the passing of Challenge legend Diem Brown in mid-November, the MTV family has to cope with suffering a personal loss, but the person whose life was taken this time was tragically cut too soon.
   Ryan Knight, cast member of The Real World: Back to New Orleans and two-time competitor on The Challenge, was found dead on Thanksgiving morning in his hometown of Kenosha, WI, 35 miles south of Milwaukee. The cause of his death remains clearly unknown and a police investigation has been ongoing during thE weekend, though TMZ reports that he choked on his own vomit after a long night partying on Wednesday night, Thanksgiving Eve.
   We first got to know Knight on RW NOLA in the summer of 2010 as the fun-loving roommate who gave us plenty of opportunities to laugh during his time in the Big Easy. He also fell in love with one of his roommates and whose relationship, both on a romantic and personal level, would continue after they left the house. He would then make his debut on The Challenge as part of Team New Orleans on Battle of the Seasons II and immediately made a strong impression in causing drama but also being the funny one. He then was partnered with Preston on Rivals II a year later and they made it all the way to the last guys elimination, and also made viral headlines for slapping Frank during the reunion.
   Once again, just as it was on November 14th when Diem Brown passed away after an eight-year battle with ovarian cancer, words simply can't express how both the MTV community and fans who've gotten to know Knight have been feeling during this Thanksgiving weekend, a weekend that's usually associated with the start of the holiday season and families getting together. And the nature of his passing in a tragic and unexpected manner has once again brought together his entire Real World/Challenge community as they once again had to deal with the passing of one of their own.

Ahead here, we'll showcase tweets and posts from, of course, the entire MTV family plus fans as they offer reflection and memories of Knight. And after all that, I'll have some perspective on him and his time on MTV. And just as it was when we paid tribute to Diem two weeks ago, at the end of this article we'll invite you to share your thoughts and reflections.
   Join DCBLOG after the jump as we remember Ryan Knight.


Knight's Last Tweets and Family & Team New Orleans Remember
First, we present one of the very last tweets Knight would post on his twitter hub, two days before his passing. Then we will present, one-by-one, posts from every member of the MTV community with a social media presence, called from their Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts and in some cases will feature a combination of them. Those MTV family tweets will begin with his Real World Back to New Orleans castmates and the one he is forever bonded with.

"Have the type of life, that when you die no one will dare say, "he left us for a better place.""
- one of the last tweets by Ryan Knight at @Knight_MTV, sent out at 7:04 PM ET on November 24, three days before his passing

"Words will never be enough to justify the connection we shared and the pain I will forever feel. I will never have the strength to say goodbye to you... But I promise you will never be forgotten. I will spend the rest of my days tellings all your stories.. RIP Ryan Thomas Knight."
"Spent most of last night going thru old pictures & this one was always his favorite. He would be overwhelmed with the love & support. Thank u from the bottom of my broken heart"
- Jemmye Carroll (@JustJem24), Knight's ex-girlfriend; appeared with him on Real World Back to New Orleans, The Challenge: BOTS2 and Rivals II - on TW/IG (duel posts)

"Throughly looking forward to this year to be over lost 2 really special ppl.  #RIPKnight Always assumed we'd have many more years together 😪"
- Preston Charles (@PrestoMagicMTV), appeared with Knight on RW NOLA2, BOTS2 & Rivals II

"@knight_mtv was like a brother. He knew my best and worst and had so much patience with me. I will never ever forget all the times we had, from New Orleans to Jupiter to LA. You weren't supposed to be gone this soon, there are more adventures we still need to have. Words are not enough to express the loss I feel for his friends and family. His journey was cut short way too soon #RIPKnight #missyoualready #RWNOLA 🙏"
"@knight_mtv we had so many ridiculous times together! from "everyday" double dates and music fests, to the craziness of hosting events and Challenges. As much as you drove me crazy, you also kept me so sane. You had that effect over many people and it breaks my heart that your "gap tooth smile" won't continue to reach more. I am sad I took your friendship for granted and I only pray that your spirit carries on with those you love - God knows we need it. 🙏😘❤️ "
- McKenzie Coburn (@McKenzieCoburn), appeared with Knight on RW NOLA2 and BOTS2 - duel posts on IG

"And in an instant your entire day can change. I slept in a room with Ryan Knight for 3 months and we laughed, yelled, cried, screamed and then laughed again. He had the personality that could charm a rattlesnake. He had the personality that makes him unforgettable. Today we lost a good one. I love you roomy."
Ashlee Feldman (@AshleeFeldman), Knight's roommate on RW NOLA2 and Jam'n 94.5/Boston radio personality - on IG

"You were truly one of a kind @Knight_MTV I will never forget you or all of the amazing/fun times we had. R.I.P my friend. I love you man."
- Ryan Leslie (@ImRyanLeslie), Knight's roommate on Real World Back to NOLA

"All I want to do is hug my roommates right now McKenzie Coburn Ashlee Feldman Jemmye Carroll what a sad day for us all. Whenever someone asks me about my Real World experience, I say that I formed bonds with people that only we could understand, living in that house together in New Orleans, on camera for four months... Laughing, crying, fighting, loving. Anyone who has ever been on a season of the Real World understands... We lost a member of our family, one of our own. We knew each other at our worst and at our best! The love I have for each and every one of you is unexplainable. We love you so much Knight, that gap-tooth smile warmed all of our hearts. My prayers are with your family tonight."
- Sahar Dika (@Sahar_Dika), Knight's roommate on Real World Back to NOLA - on FB

"Im sorry @Knight_MTV"
- Eric Patrick (@TheEricPatrick), Knight's roommate on Real World Back to NOLA

"I love you Ryan Knight. I am heartbroken, confused, hurt and most of all mad. The pain I am feeling now will never go away. You mean more to me than you will ever know & I never thought that I would spend a day without you. Every second with you was full of love and laughter. You were the brightest light in every room. You taught me not to care about what other people think and you made me understand that being myself was okay. Thank you for being inappropriate at the worst of times and making me laugh until I cried. Thank you for loving me unconditionally even though I snored and drooled on you in my sleep. You had the sweetest soul and I will never forget that. I always called you "my sweet angel" and now you truly are. Love you forever, Goodnight my dear. I love you. #sm MEK"
- Makenzie Jauer (@makenzie_jauer), Knight's girlfriend at the time of his death, just after his passing - on IG/TW

"I'm not ready to say goodbye! This is was and always will be my best friend! We protected one another ALWAYS... RIP my love I will talk to you soon"
Cecilia Knight (@CCKnight), Knight's sister - on IG


> The MTV Family Remembers
Next is the reaction from the rest of the MTV family and from the producers of The Real World & The Challenge - Bunim-Murray Productions, once again presented one-by-one.

"Ryan Knight will be remembered for his wicked sense of humor and his generous spirit.  We send our sympathies to his family and friends."
- Official Statement from Bunim-Murray Productions (@BunimMurray), producers of The Real World and The Challenge

"We are saddened to hear the news of the passing of Ryan Knight. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends at this difficult time."
- Official Statement from MTV (@MTV), per US Weekly (@USWeekly)

"Controversial, outspoken, and hilarious, and your smile was contagiousYou lived your life in the fast lane with a reckless abandon, and everyone loved you for it. Anyone who knew you would say you were rough around the edges, but on the inside you truly cared about people and their happiness. "A candle that burns twice and bright only burns half as long." My bunkmate, my buddy.  Rest easy pal, I'll miss you. @Knight_MTV"
Zach Nichols (@ZachMTV), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II - on TW/IG

"I know you're up there right now, still cracking jokes & getting into trouble. There was never a dull moment with you, Knight. I'll miss that the most. I'll never forget all the laughter & good times we shared. Always in my heart. Rest In Paradise my friend #RIP Knight 🙏❤️ " 
- Nany Gonzalez (@NanyMTV), competed with Knight on Battle of the Seasons II & Rivals II 

"@DiemBrownMTV was at the door. @Knight_MTV came knockin. His humor was bigger than his horns So she let him in #ripryanknight #partyinheaven"
- Cara Maria Sorbello (@CaraMariaMTV), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II

"Another tragic loss. Everyone deserves a chance at a full life no matter the circumstance. #RIPRyanKnight"
Frank Sweeney (@FrankCSweeney), competed with Knight on Battle of the Seasons II & Rivals II, was slapped by Knight on live Rivals II reunion

"Rest peacefully @Knight_MTV we didn't start off on the best of terms but in the end we had a heart to heart that changed a lot of things. 💔"
Jessica McCain (@MTVJess), competed with Knight on The Challenge: Rivals II

"Man my worlds flipped upside down again :: Gone to young: #RIP @Knight_MTV :: you were one who loved and loved life. When you live in the same crib 24/7 for months competing & chilling with these folk love or hate we're family! RIP@diembrownmtv @Knight_MTV"
Eric Banks (@EricBanks), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and worked with him on Spring Break 2013; was first castmate to find out about Knight's death

"@Knight_MTV ...So sad...ill  miss you my friend...you were always down for some shenanigans and laughs. Rest in peace #GoneTooSoon"
Paula Beckert (@PaulaWalnutsMTV), competed with Knight on Rivals II 

"I'm speechless. I don't understand. Life is so precious. You were taken too soon. #RIPRyanKnight"
Emily Schromm (@EmFitMTV), competed with Knight on Rivals II

"My little sister just broke the news to me about @knight_mtv's passing and I am so sad. I feel blessed to have laughed all over the world with you. Inside our work with MTV, yet more impressive to me still, when the cameras weren't rolling, my friend, I was a beneficiary and witness to your righteous loyalty to your friends. I miss you. I love you. I'll see you on the other end, brotha." 
- Chet Cannon (@Chet_Cannon), competed with Knight on BOTS2 - on IG

"My heart truly hurts!! My Wisco comrade!! I love you @Knight_MTV... You will forever be missed."
- Melinda Stolp (@MelindaStolp), competed with Knight on BOTS2, and Milwaukee native

"RIPleasure Homie @Knight_MTV 😭🍻💔 #CheeseHead4Lyfe"
Theresa Gonzalez (@TheresaTime20), competed with Knight on Rivals II, & Milwaukee resident

"Just got some tragic news. Trying to stay strong. I really don't understand so much. Good thing this world is just temporary. God bless us. I love you guys. Knight, tell Diem Hi for me. #RIPKnight #RIPDiemBrown Please pray for their biological family as well as our @mtv family. This is too much, too soon. 🙏 #RIPKnight #RIPDiemBrown #staystrong"
Camila Nakagawa (@CamilaMTV), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II

"MTV and the Sun Devil nation taking it on the chin again today. Ryan Knight, you were a badass human being. You will be missed. RIP. @JustJem24 I love you girl, stay strong and give me a shout when you want to talk"
Wes Bergmann (@WestonBergmann), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II

"Ryan Knight....Bunkmate you've always been there threw laughs cry craziness and cell searches lol! Thank you for being my friend. My heart is so broken to lose you! I will always keep the crazy voicemails you left me!. To the Knight my family my heart tears &prayers are with you! #ripknight #bunkmate #gonetoyoung"
Jasmine Reynaud (@JazMTV), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II - on IG

"It's no secret that we weren't the best of friends, but this MTV family I've gained over the last 3 years are the only people who understand what it's like to do what we do; Knight was a big part of that. We were able to reconcile our differences before his passing, but it doesn't make it any easier losing another one. I'm hoping there is no more. We were already hurting. Rest in peace, buddy. I'll see ya when I see ya."
Trey Weatherholtz (@MTVTrey), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II - on FB

"I'm thankful to have met knight. I met him and Jem at the Vegas premiere party and instantly fell in love with both of them. Mike Ross and I ended up meeting the two in Nola before working with StudentCity in Cancun. Then I got to be on Rivals 2 with him. He has always been a part of my "reality experience" and people like him have made it all worth while. He taught me not to take it all too seriously and to enjoy the moment. He always made me laugh. I loved being a goofball with him. He was a great person and this is just too tragic. There were more memories to be made, but I am thankful for the ones he gave me. #ripknight"
Heather Cooke (@IamHeatherCooke), competed with Knight on Rivals II - on FB

"Love ya brotha @Knight_MTV .. Way too soon, it just doesn't seem real. I was so lucky to share memories, stories, a lot of laughs, and experiences with such a funny, brilliant, good guy. You always had a way to cheer me up in those stressful challenge hours. You're a great friend. All of my thoughts and prayers will be with your family, friends, and MTV family. I love you and I'll miss ya. @JustJem24 thinking of ya Jem. You have all of my prayers.
- Robb Schreiber (@Robb_Schreiber), competed with Knight on BOTS2 & Rivals II - on TW/IG

"@Knight_MTV Brilliant, hilarious and wild. You constantly had me cracking up. We had some fun times. Rest in peace friend. There are really no words right now. I can't believe it. We fought, we cried, we laughed, but most importantly, we loved. I will miss you both. Rip @diembrown and @knight_mtv My thoughts and prayers go out to their family and friends #gonetoosoon"
Aneesa Ferreira (@AneesaMTV), competed with Knight on Rivals II - on TW/IG

"#ripknight Man I could hit you right now... im at a loss and will be more eloquent later. Still just ............. This is harder than I thought. I can't.   Im out."
- Brandon Nelson (@BrandonDNelson), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and worked with him on Spring Break

"Some called you crazy, others called you funny. I called you a friend. I'll miss you @Knight_MTV. I enjoyed our time in Turkey. #RIPKnight"
- Devyn Simone (@DevynSimone), competed with Knight on Battle of the Seasons II

"Knight you were the coolest most kind hearted guy and I will always remember the good times RIP Ryan Knight"
Dustin Zito (@BrandonDNelson), competed with Knight on BOTS2 - on IG

"Another @MTV family loss. So sad. I will always remember our month being roommates in Turkey. You were one funny guy #RIPKnight @Knight_MTV"
Trishelle Cannatella (@TrishelleC), competed with Knight on BOTS2 and Rivals II

"Damn man RIP @Knight_MTV....... Wtf man."
- Tyrie Brown (@TyrieBMTV), competed with Knight on Rivals II

"This is so sad to hear. Knight was always so sweet to me and will be missed by many. #RIPRyanKnight"
Ashley Kelsey (@AshleyMarieMTV), competed with Knight on Battle of the Seasons II

"I've done #Yoga one and only time with @Knight_MTV led by @SarahRiceMTV in Turkey. So sad. A client of mine said that she'd seen that Knight had passed. She said, how strange, Diem, & now him; Her name means "day" & his is "night"."
Lacey Buheler (@imalacey), competed with Knight on BOTS2

"This is not what I wanted to hear. So sad #ripknight @Knight_MTV gone wayy too soon.. I'll always be your #3"
- Derek Chavez (@MTVDerek), competed with Knight on BOTS2 & Rivals II

"I can't believe that we have to say goodbye to another @RealWorldMTV family member @Knight_MTV RIP dude I can't even deal 😔😔 is this real??"
Naomi Defensor (@NaomiMTV), competed with Knight on Rivals II

"The MTV family has lost two this month. My heart is 💔.  @JustJem24 You're in my prayers, Jemmye. You and Knight had something so special and you guys made so many people smile. #Foreverremembered"
C.J. Koegel (@CJKoegel), competed with Knight on BOTS2 - on IG/TW

"RIP @knight_mtv ... The @mtv family will miss your spirit... Glad I got to see you a few weeks ago in LA. Thanks for the smiles and stories...🙏🙏🙏"
Mark Long (@TheMarkLong), Road Rules & multiple Challenge participant - on IG

"Wow. This is so sad. I can't believe another MTV fam is gone."
- Ruthie Alcaide (@RuthieAlcaide), RW Hawaii and multiple Challenge participant - on FB

"I'm sadden to know another Real World Family member has passed away. My prayers go out to his family and friends. @JustJem24 I'm sorry!"
Robin Hibbard (@RobinMTV14), RW San Diego and nine-time Challenge participant

"@Knight_MTV Words escape me buddy. You'll be missed more than you could have ever imagined. My dominos late night pizza partner-in-crime..."
Tyler Duckworth (@TylerDuckMTV), RW Key West and multiple Challenge participant

"My @RealWorldMTV family has been hit hard recently. Life can seem unfair and harsh. Treasure each moment and each other. Love. Live. Laugh."
- Zach Mann (@izacmann), RW Key West and multiple Challenge participant

"Ryan Knight was a person of pure heart and it will be 100% impossible to ever forget him. If you knew him you'll understand Count your blessings tonight. Tell people you love em. Life is so precious. You will be missed my friend."
Cohutta Grindstaff (@CohuttaMTV) / Real World Sydney, worked with Knight on Spring Break

"My heart really hurts today..RIP @Knight_MTV my brother, my spring break roommate. We had some unforgettable times. I will never forget you."
Nick Brown (@Nick Brown) / RW Hollywood, worked with Knight on Spring Break

"This doesn't seem real. RIP Knight. Im sure you and @diembrown are dancing together in the sky. @knight_mtv. Xoxo #ripknight #ripryanknight"
- Baya Voce (@Baya_Voce), Real World Brooklyn - on IG

"I just can't, not another. We are family and every loss hurts like a ton of bricks and a truck hit. #RIP Knight. #staystrong #family #mtv #speechless hold everyone in your life close and tight and live every moment freely and happy and just.... love."
Ayiiia Elizarraras (@Ayiiia_Eliza), Real World Cancun - on IG

"Thank you for all the good times and the laughs. I'll miss your voicemails and random phone calls, your advice which was always inappropriate and crass but true and necessary for me to listen to, your mischievous smile and how you were able to make a room light up. I'll never forget our fun times in PCB or how you and @justjem24 were there for me during a difficult time. Love you Knight, may you rest peacefully. Can't take another loss. 3 friends in 2 months. My heart hurts."
Emilee Fitzpatrick (@IWantMyEmTV) / RW Cancun, worked with Knight on Spring Break

"Too soon @Knight_MTV "Do not go gentle into that good night; rage against the dying of the light." #RIPRyanKnight"
Andrew Woods (@PandrewWoods), Real World D.C. and worked with Knight on Spring Break

"Saddened to hear of another @RealWorldMTV loss - @Knight_MTV - didn't know him well, but he seemed like a super fun dude.  #RIPKnight"
Erika Lauren (@ErikaLauren), Real World D.C. and Cleveland radio personality

"@Knight_MTV I can't even believe it. The world grew a little darker today. Miss you already - thoughts and prayers go out to family"
Michael Ross (@MikeRossMTV) / RW Back to Vegas, worked with Knight on Spring Break

"What a tragic month. RIP @Knight_MTV"
- Heather Marter (@heathermarter), RW Back to Las Vegas

"What is happening to the Real World fam right now?"
Nate Stodhill (@MTVNate) / RW Back to San Diego, worked with Knight on Spring Break

"Another piece of my MTV family was taken away too soon today. I love you kid, thank you for loving me back. We had a fucking blast this summer didn't we?? Tell Diem we miss her and are so proud of her. Rest easy @knight_mtv 🙏💋 @JustJem24 I love you girl. I know this has been really tough. Just know the whole family is thinking about you. Stay strong babe💋💋💋💋"
Nia Moore (@TheRealNiaMoore), Real World Portland

"I don't understand what's happening lately but @Knight_MTV you will be dearly missed my man rest easy well play hockey together in heaven !!"
- Johnny Reilly (@JohnnyReilly_), Real World Portland

"Rest easy Knight. You were a great person. And I'm happy to have known you. Thank you for the fun times."
Averey Tressler (@Ave_Tress), Real World Portland

"My heart is hurting. Rest easy Knight. You were a great person. And I'm happy to have known you. Thank you for the fun times."
Joi Neimeyer (@PeaceLoveJoi), Real World Portland

"Im so done with everything. I am speechless. I loved you like a brother @Knight_MTV   .. RIP i cant believe your gone. Its sad enough i had to post this month and say RIP Diem. Now i have to say RIP Ryan Knight as well. Knight always treated me as a brother and i will never forget that. Say hi to Diem and my Mom for me brother. You will be missed @knight_mtv @diembrown. As you lay your head down to sleep, remember how quickly someone can be taken from you. Be thankful for every day you have with your family."
Jay Gotti (@JayGMTV) / RW Ex-Plosion, worked with Knight on Spring Break

"Im so done with everything. I am speechless. I loved you like a brother @Knight_MTV   .. RIP i cant believe your gone"
Thomas Buell (@ThomasBuellMTV), Real World Ex-Plosion

"Speechless and heartbroken. Thankful to have my family and friends here by my side today."
Hailey Chivers (@haileychivers), Real World Ex-Plosion

"Still can't beieve it, we got super close the past few months talking everyday, facetiming me 10x at 4 am..and our silly stupid snapchat convos... So sad you had to leave us this early...you were such a funny guy with a great heart ..Rest easy @knight_mtv you'll be missed."
Jenna Compono (@JennaCompono), Real World Ex-Plosion

"So sad to hear about the loss of @Knight_MTV 😪 prayers to his family and friends. #RIPKnight smh too many people dying too young."
- Jamie Larson (@JamieChinaMTV), Real World Ex-Plosion

"Wake up to hear the news about @Knight_MTV , I still can't believe it, My heart goes out to his family!🙏#RIPKnight"
- Cory Wharton (@MTVCoryWharton), Real World Ex-Plosion

"Sad day indeed another @MTV star has passed away #rip @Knight_MTV"
- Briah Bettencourt (@briughh), brother of Bruno from Real World 30

"Still in absolute shock Ryan Knight has passed away. The second challenge competitor in 2 weeks. It doesn't seem real, this sucks. Ryan you were a great friend and such a nice person. I'm still in shock and deeply sadden. #RipKnight"
- Adam Kuhn (@IamAdamKuhn)Are You The One? Season 1 - on FB/TW

"To one of the funniest guys I have ever met. You will be missed, Ryan Knight. Say I love u to a friend. Life is short. I love you guys. Taken too soon. Fly high @Knight_MTV @DiemBrownMTV <3 #MTV #family"
Brittany Baldi (@BrittanyBaldi)Are You The One? Season 1

"Sometimes...you will never understand why things happen. I talked to God today & the best thing I came up w/afterwards was you're having the best form of peace anyone could ever ask for. RIP Knight 😪 #ThisIsBeyondUnbelieveable #KeepDiemCompanyUpThere 😘🙏👼"
- Simone Kelly (@SimoneJKelly)Are You The One? Season 1

"Holy shit RIP Knight. I can't believe that. Terribly sad. Don't know what else to say but I can't believe it. Awful."
John Jacobs aka "JJ" (@MaybachDiamonds)Are You The One? Season 1

"Only the good die young 😔 #RIPRyanKnight"
Ryan Malaty (@RyanMalaty)Are You The One? Season 1

"Watch over Us! You're in a far better place! @Knight_MTV @DiemBrownMTV much love 4 #MTVFamily @ChallengeMTV #MuchRespect Amazing Role Models"
- Layton Jones (@LaytonJonesMTV), Are You The One? Season 2

"Wtf times a million. Still in shock.. Wow. Really hope this awful trend of mtv people dying does not continue.. I would absolutely lose it if I lost anyone I know 😥 #RIPKnight"
Shelby Yardley (@MTVshelbs)Are You The One? Season 2

"Knight loved to joke w/cast & crew. In his words, a "habitual line crosser" but always w/ a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. @JustJem24 Holding you in my thoughts today, Jemmye. You and Knight had a unique chemistry that made so many people smile. #RIP"
- Danny Wascou (@DannyWascou), Challenge producer 

"Always kept me on my toes, but was impossible not to smile when around @Knight_MTV . Great guy. You'll be missed. RIP."
- Travis Bible (@thetravisbible), Challenge producer


> Fans and Luminaries Remember
Lastly, here's reaction from other reality stars, distinguished people and fans, starting with yours truly when I first mentioned about the news after arriving at my uncle's house for Thanksgiving though I had known it since early in the afternoon.

"As I head over to uncles now, take time to recognize the meaning of #FamilyFirst, especially on days like this when we all gather together. With that in mind, words can't express how Team MTV has been feeling today, especially on this holiday. #RIPKnight, you'll be sorely missed."
@DC408Dxtr

"Another loss in #TheChallenge family today. All my love goes out to his challenge family, along with all of his loved ones. You always supported my Challenge recaps, even when I made fun of you. You were a good sport and a good guy. You will be missed. #RIPKnight"
- Ace Nichols (@AceNichols33), RW/Challenge fan and YouTube recap host

"I have no words!! RIP Knight you will be missed so deeply!! Such a funny, good guy!! My heart is breaking...I didn't even know him or diem but this is such a huge loss for everybody...such good people!! Knight and Diem are looking down now on all of us...they were so loved!! We will miss you both!! Dance and party with angels"
Neya Sivera (@neyasivera) - RW/Challenge fan

"Everyone please keep the family and friends of @Knight_MTV in your prayers tonight.  Despite what you saw on camera @Knight_MTV was a good guy with a big heart, who knew how to make people smile. You'll be missed. #RIPKnight"
Kyle McCann (@BruhItsPanda) - RW/Challenge fan

"My lord, what unbelievably sad news. RIP @Knight_MTV. Such a real and awesome dude. That really sucks."
- Brian Cohen (@BusDriversRoute), MTV fan & podcast host; interviewed Knight during Rivals II and attended live Rivals II reunion (visit BusDriversRoute.com for more)

"Can't believe we lost another member of our #MTV #TheChallenge community and the world. R.I.P Ryan Knight. You'll be missed. Condolences to his family, friends, fans, fellow Challengers, & especially @JustJem24. We, as a community, are here for you. #RIPRyanKnight"
- Tim Koskuba (@KO_Skuba), Challenge webcast host and blogger

"Two real worlders in two weeks man that hurts  #RIPKnight  #RIPDiem. Praying for Ryan's roommates @JustJem24 @AshleeFeldman @Sahar_Dika @PrestoMagicmtv. I was on and off with how I felt about Knight but one things for sure he was a great dude RIP Ryan  stay strong #TEAMMTV."
- Andrew Kirk (@CSUAKirk), MTV fan and webcast host

"RIP @Knight_MTV... I remember running into him several times at UWM when I first got there"
Shane Battle (@CSUAKirk), MTV fan and Milwaukee native

"Tried explaining the sad feeling of another fallen beloved Challenge competitor to my family... No words to describe it just sad"
- Morgan MacAdam (@Morgan_MacAdam), RW/Challenge fan and Andrew Kirk's webcast contributor

"I'm so sorry for the losses you have endured this past month. I was extremely saddened to hear about Diem and now Knight. Granted I didn't actually know them like you all do, so I couldn't imagine how you all feel. But being a fan/viewer of The RW/The Challenge you connect with people and their stories or journeys on these shows. Even on such as social media. Both Diem and Knight had such amazing and bright personalities, with so much to offer this world. You all do as a matter of fact. Wether you know it or not. My thoughts are with you all. Stay strong and hang in there. ❤️❤️"
- Sammy Lafoe (@SammyLafoe), RW/Challenge fan and mini letter to the RW/Challenge community

"Heard the horrible news about Ryan Knight, I was a huuuge fan of that season. May he rest in peace. 💜😔"
- Andrea Russett (@AndreaRussett), YouTube host

"Finding out that @Knight_MTV has passed is heart breaking 💔 thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends #RIPKnight"
Jamie Dix (@jdix1990), MTV fan

"Ugh so sad. RIP @Knight_MTV #TeamNola RIP #RyanKnight && #DiemBrown❤️ keep dancing smiling and making every laugh up there!"
- Danielle (@_danielleex0x3), MTV fan

"HATE that the vid attached to all of the stories about #Knight is him talking about his drug past. Thats NOT what he'll be remembered for."
- Elizabethany (@luvelizabethany), radio host at HOT 99.5 Washington

"Wait, wow wtf? Knight from @MTV #TheRealWorld died? HOW. First diem & now him 😔😳 #RIPRyanKnight"
Eric Ceballos (@EricCOfficial), RW/Challenge fan and my RW Ex-Plosion Fan's View subject

"So sad to hear about @Knight_MTV praying for all his family and friends right now! #mtv #thechallenge"
Ashley Weitzel (@AshleyWeitzel), RW/Challenge fan and webcast host

"1st Diem Now Knight? That's Messed Up #RIPDIEM #RIPKnight"
David Olmann (@BigTymers228), RW/Challenge fan

Despite what you saw on camera @Knight_MTV was a good guy with a big heart, who knew how to make people smile. You'll be missed. #RIPKnight
@RSPanda48



DC's VIEW: Reflection on Ryan Knight
As someone who has been a long-time Real World fanatic, a Challenge enthusiast for the past two years, and someone who has grown a strong social rapport with both the RWC community and the broader MTV family since I joined Twitter in the summer of 2012, the past two weeks have hit me very hard. Sure, I might not personally know or have met anyone in the RW/Challenge family, but because of social media, fans like us have grown a connection and attachment to the people of these shows and the stories they have, which is just as strong as the ones we have with our family and our friends. So, again it has been an emotion-packed month in dealing with these losses, along with celebrating my birthday just a day before Diem died, me being into other things and the holidays.

Now to reflection on Ryan Knight. He was, of course, that guy from Kenosha, WI who, while he can be a mixed bag at times in being honest and confrontational, would always be the one that, at the end of the day, would make everyone around him laugh and smile. And, as MTV News wrote in their memories post on him, he also developed a reputation for not holding anything back, which along with his easygoing and humorous personality was what defined him.
   Knight was someone who's had hockey in his lifeblood as someone who played it for a long time, and it was no wonder where when first saw him in the premiere, it was him playing the coolest game on earth. He had sights set on being on the NHL until a devastating shoulder injury cost him an Arizona St. scholarship and an NHL career. During the recovery process, he unfortunately became addicted to painkillers and he had to battle to remain clean during that time for which he succeeded, but it's believed that it had a part in his untimely death.

So when he arrived in New Orleans in 2010 for Real World, he set about getting a fresh start. During that stay in the Big Easy, among other things, he dressed up in a "man-cini," had fun eating ice cream, and of course, roamed Bourbon Street during the madness of Mardi Gras in declaring his ambitions of seeing girls flashing. And he also got into it with Preston over sexuality, Sahar over her & her boyfriend, and was involved in a "Who Done It?" mystery of who took roommate Ashlee's medicine. But he also showed heart in joining with his roommates and Habitat for Humanity to help build a house for a family affected by Hurricane Katrina.
   It wouldn't be until two years later that he and his NOLA castmates would join The Challenge for Battle of the Seasons II. There in that rookie campaign in Turkey, it wasn't before long that he would make his mark in bringing that candor and humor to the 5th major pro sport. One night, he would solidify his place as house jokester when, echoing what happened with Tonya several years earlier, he decided to take all of the nice laundry of Nany and tossing it into the pool, which set off a fight with both of them on the stairs. And in a more rookie-laden field, he made it past the halfway point.
   The next year, he went to Thailand for Rivals II where he was paired up with Preston. There, he added more to his resume by getting into another fight, this time with Marlon over sexuality, and adding more great interview one-liners as well. And though he would hang tough throughout the season and make it all the way to the last guys elimination battle, he saved his most memorable moment for the Rivals II reunion when a tense exchange on-stage with someone he had with someone he used to be buddies with, Frank, saw Knight slap him on live TV.

Of course, something that was documented greatly during Knight's MTV career was his on-again, off-again relationship with Jemmye. From the moment they first saw each other in the Real World house, we knew that something might click for the both of them. It took a lot of flirting, attraction and laughs and the party atmosphere of their new city to eventually see them get together. And when the revelry of Fat Tuesday had subsided, she would sealed the deal and he would earn a unique title among the previous partner of the Southerner in him taking her "white boy virginity." Then after the show ended, he decided to move back down and rejoin her in New Orleans, and that relationship lasted for more than a year.
   But that relationship ended badly when, as we found out during their Challenge debuts, that he cheated on her and she gave away his clothes. And there was also the instance where both got arrested during Mardi Gras and caught the eye of TMZ. So there was a bit of an awkward feeling in the air when they met up in Turkey, and what happened with him & Nany caught Jem's attention. But by the time they left after losing an elimination, they were able to smooth things out. They then met again in Thailand for Rivals II and once again we saw them flirting once again. And of course, there was that bizarre moment when he decided to cash in on her unique phobia of ketchup by smearing it on her face, her shouting at him and causing us to wonder "What's on earth is going on here?"
   During their Challenge stints, their relationship would evolve to a civil one where they were on friendly terms, though not necessarily together or interacting every day, but still where both would care for one another. So, it was no surprise that so many of the MTV community, as well as fans, have consoled Jemmye during the past several days, which has certainly helped her get through what has certainly been the tough time in her life. And of course, the support has comforted her greatly.

Just as it was when Diem Brown died the day after my birthday, the reaction we've shown to you from both inside and outside the Real World/Challenge bubble has been immediate, widespread and heartfelt. This community, the largest among the entire MTV family, is one that might be called dysfunctional. But at its heart, this coast-to-coast family of over 200 alumni - who never even heard of one another before doing either a Real World, a Challenge or making an appearance such as Spring Break - has an unbreakable bond just as strong as family and friends. And what has happened in the span of 13 days has brought them ever closer, something that has never happened before in this modern social media age, and not overall since Pedro Zamora's passing 20 years ago this month.
   During the long holiday weekend usually filled with festiveness, the MTV family have had time to reflect and remember Knight and his life. A lot of the RW/Challenge community, plus those from my other favorite show Are You The One? and other shows, and of course fans, have shared their grief and memories. And of course, for this longtime MTV fan, Knight's passing has really hit home to me, especially in having interacted with him a few times on Twitter and Instagram. I first found out about the news while I was at Levi's Stadium and while my attention was focused on the Niners/Seahawks game, I was keeping a twitter tab on what was happening with Knight. It was when I got to my uncle's house for Thanksgiving dinner that it finally sunk in and I acknowledged it on my DCNOW hub after the game. But, though I was able to maintain my composure during what is always a great time for me in enjoying time with family, it was still a little hard to focus in on everything.

If you're part of Team MTV and who might be reading this post, as I wrote back in my remembrance of Diem, me and my entire family - both primary & extended - know exactly what you have endured over the last two weeks, and we've dealt with it three times this year. Earlier this summer, my grandma, the matriarch of my extended family, passed away in the Philippines; and both of my family dogs were put down several months apart. As you know, there's no feeling that can have a profound and everlasting impact on people's lives than with dealing with death, either someone in the family or a close friend. It touches lives on ways where words and visuals aren't needed to express it. And when it takes place in a tragic and unexpected manner, it becomes even more devastating.
   As I wrote above, I might not personally know or have met any of you in person yet, but as a great MTV fan for 15 years and someone who's established a strong rapport with all of you in the Real World & Challenge community thanks to social media, I continue to stand united with you in solidarity in honoring the memories of both of your fallen comrades. I know this has not been a good month for all of you, but the way you all have rallied yourselves around Diem & Knight, supporting one another during this time of reflection, and the way you all have handled yourselves with compassion, care and dignity has definitely won even more of my respect for all of you.

As I wrote so many times on my social platforms this year, it's on days such as what the MTV family experienced on November 14 and then on the 27th where everything is put into perspective, and to come to the realization that there are some things that are bigger than others. And on that short list of those things that should always be given first priority, family is always on there.
   What has happened during this span has been something that we've have not experienced before in this tight-knit Real World/Challenge family: them mourning the passings of two of their fallen comrades in such a short time span. They and us fans have had plenty of time to reflect and celebrate the life of Diem Brown, and now they have been forced to to it once again, and much too soon, to Ryan Knight. As much as Diem was their definition of a fighter who never gave up during her brave battle with cancer, Knight was the easygoing, fun-loving fella who loved to make everyone laugh and had a spirit of being generous as well.
   He might not have the kind of enduring and widespread impact that Diem and Pedro had in touching lives beyond a reality franchise catered to a Generation X&Y TV audience, but still, Knight's untimely and unexpected passing has touched everyone in the MTV community as well as those who have watched him, his humor and his heart. So, to Ryan Knight's family and close friends, stay strong and I send out my condolences to you all. To the MTV family, stay strong also and honor the memory of both him and Diem Brown. And to everyone who was affected by this tragic passing, stay strong as well. And may god bless his soul.


And that is this Special Edition of DC SocialPulse. As always, we thank you for reading and hope that you enjoyed this post full of reflection and perspective from family, friends, castmates, fans and me on the life of Ryan Knight. And as is the case at other celebrity news websites, DCBLOG invites you to share your thoughts and memories of him in the comment box that is open at the bottom of this post. But, as a common courtesy, as always keep your comments clean and respectful. As we close, here's a couple reminders...

- My fellow MTV fan, twitter colleague and webcast host Brian Cohen (@BusDriversRoute) had the opportunity to interview Knight during Rivals II and then attended the live Rivals II Reunion last year. Be sure to check out www.busdriversroute.com to check out that interview and Brian's insight into that reunion and the events from that night.
- Another fellow webcast, Reality Radio, also got to interview Knight during Battle of the Seasons II. Check them out at @RealityRadioPod and talkinrealitytv.blogspot.com.
- Of interest to MTV fans is Craze Watches, a line of customizable watches created by Knight's buddy Jay of Real World Ex-Plosion originally as a way to help subsidize the costs of the medical bills of his late mom Lucy Mitchell, who passed away from cancer during his season earlier this year. Visit www.crazewatches.com where users can purchase watches and where 10% of all orders will go directly to cancer foundations to help those who've been affected by it and support cancer research.
- And with what has happened recently to the RW/Challenge community, if you're a casual reader and know someone who's into the show, it's a recommendation to head over to Amazon.com or Shop.MTV.com and purchase the RIVALS II DVD which features the entire season, the reunion and other special features. The recent RW Ex-Plosion season has also been released on DVD and both will make a very good stocking stuffer for the MTV fan in your family.


Stay tuned to DCBLOG for wall-to-wall MTV coverage including Are You The One? in Puerto Rico, the upcoming 30th season of The Real World in Chicago, plus relive my coverage of Rivals II with Knight & Diem and more. Follow all of my social platforms - Twitter @DC408Dxtr, Instagram @DC408Dxtr and DCNOW @DC408DxNow for tweets, chats, alerts, pictures and live tweets; and for which we'll be live tweeting EP9 of Are You The One? later tonight on DCNOW at 10PM PT.
   Again, thanks for reading and thanks for joining us. Rest in Peace Ryan Knight.

- DC


All Posts from Cast Members Were Compiled from their Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).