Friday, June 29, 2018

DC ExtraTime: AYTO Aftermatch - The Season 3 Finale Fight

From following the Are You The One? Season 3 Finale, 
and originally posted during The Challenge Bloodlines
updated to include Mike's response

#DCBLOG FLASHBACK
BY DC CUEVA                     
■ @DC408Dxtr  TW / IG / YT

As it still airing in some parts of the world after it concluded a couple weeks ago for most, there's still buzz about the finale to Season 3 of Are You The One?. And a key storyline on what was the most controversial of the show's three seasons was the relationship of Amanda & Mike, which started on the premiere and reached its breaking point in the two-hour finale. They got it on in the Boom Boom Room at the get-go, was a no-match in the week 2 blackout (where the cast lost $250,000 from their $1 million) and stayed together afterwards which, along Devin & Kiki and other no-matches, threatened the group's chances at the $750,000 which they won miraculously. And in the finale, a fight between the two led to a drunken Amanda going off on him and Mike responding by becoming violent. Ultimately, he left the house, both after the fight to cool off at a hotel by producers and then deciding to do so permanently citing the difficulties of living in that house in Hawaii.



Before, during and after that miraculous 10th matchup that he was not present to soak in the confetti, Mike had the opportunity to respond on Twitter:
MTV/Jamie Cary
"Just want to say I understand how I may come off to the public, but I love women, Amanda, and my #ohana family. I hope you understand this. I have nothing but love for everyone and if nothing else I hope you don't look at me different. #embarrassment doesn't come close 2 how I am feeling watching myself act in this way.. Enjoy the finale and I wish the best of luck to all those applying to season 4. Once again im so sorry for my actions no matter the situation no man should put their hands on a woman. I can't keep up with all the tweets but I love the input both negative and positive. Does nothing but help reflect on the past and help me As a person in the future. So much love for you all. Wish the producers of the show would have taken half of your opinions into consideration. By no means do I condone by behavior but sending Me home really hurt. I just hope my second family can pull it all together for all of us. #ohana
--- Twitter @MikeCresenz0

And after some alone time for some soul searching knowing how big this scenario would play out once we at home got to see it, Amanda returned from a brief social media hiatus last week, and for the first time since the events of the finale, she offered her thoughts on that fateful night. From an Instagram post which has since been deleted - likely due to her being given tons of social media hate since the finale and then on that post, here's her response...
MTV/Jamie Cary
"I would like everyone to finally hear my voice on the situation with Mike on MTVs Are You The One Season 3. After watching the finale, I feel extremely embarrassed and remorseful for my behavior. It was completely disgusting and out of control. I would give anything to take back what happened. I provoked Mike and the situation was blown way out of proportion on television. I want everyone to know I fought for Mike to stay. I told production the following day it wasn't a big deal and that we equally had a part in what happened. With alcohol and high emotions we both made mistakes that night. I take more blame than Mike because I know it wouldn't have happened if I didn't continuously push him to his breaking point. I'm working on being a better person and that's really all I can say. I can't erase or take it back, I can only learn and progress forward into becoming the best woman I can be. I'm sorry to all the fans of AYTO and more importantly I'm sorry to @mikecrescenzo. ❤️ I'm happy and thankful we can be friends and stick together through this crazy journey!!!!!"  
--- Instagram @MTV_AMANDA

It was obviously unfortunate that she would receive lots of hate from the folks in the social media world for behavior that would easily be regrettable. Just as it was for Zach during Exes 2, Amanda didn't spend time in the social world from just before the finale until a week after knowing how severe the people who would be in being critical on her. Unfortunately, it obviously going to be the same with Tony and with Christina in the aftermath of the hook-up that would ultimately see the end of his Real World romance with Madison. But I do applaud Amanda for coming clean and telling her side of the story, after Mike himself told his side during the finale itself. It's better than not responding at all, particularly when there wasn't a reunion this season.

While Diki's relationship was the key talking point this year among the relationships that emerged, the Amanda-Mike relationship brought it to a level we've not had here in that something violent led to Mike being the first AYTO castmate to leave the house before the season had ended. He too also fessed up to his mistakes and acknowledging that men like him should never touch a girl in the manner that which he did. Obviously, that fight will be the memory fans will have of them when we look back on this season, but again much respect to Amanda & Mike for responding to it.


▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

EDITOR'S NOTE
Since then, Mike and Amanda have achieved further fame in the MTV landscape: he dated Tori Deal of AYTO Season 4 and several Challenges and was on the cast of Real World Seattle: Bad Blood a year later (where he would later cheat on Tori in hooking up with housemate Jordan), while she would become a Challenge staple starting with Rivals III and after starts on Invasion and Dirty 30 returns as Zach's partner on Final Reckoning. Earlier this spring, DCBLOG took a look at how Season 3 has become the most accomplished of the six Are You The One casts at this link, which now sees Chuck make his Challenge debut next month with who's become his ex, Britni.

- I AM DC
#DCBLOG

UPDATE: Updated 9/18/08 to include clip from the finale from MTV France (and in the French language), though it comes before the actual fight that led to Mike leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).