Friday, September 11, 2015

A Salute to Our Armed Forces

BY DC CUEVA

A brief, spur of the moment post to share with you here and the first one in a while outside the sports and MTV realms too. As you know, I'm into those worlds very extensively here on this site and on my public social media platforms, but I'm also someone who doesn't really like to discuss things that relate to me or to that great support system known as my family & friends as I prefer to keep those things to myself. Today, I'm making one of those rare exceptions here since this is something that also relates to a lot of you, particularly as this article is being posted on the 14th anniversary of a tragic day that defined our generation and united this country.
   I remember September 11, 2001 vividly as I went through my first year of going to community college when I woke up to the scenes in New York City. I then went to school for class, but it was cut short for obvious reasons and went home for the day. And I do remember going about my usual business of going through the normal daily routine I have while the country was in panic mode. And over in New York, my uncle, who lives across the river in New Jersey, worked in a hospital in Queens no doubt tending, like so many of those in the City, to those who were hurt to those on that day. All in all, it was quite a day in our history.

Since I joined Twitter three years ago, as well as to those in my inner circle on Facebook for 7 years, it's been a customary tradition for me on the four patriotic holidays we have each year - Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day and this day Patriots Day on this 9/11 Remembrance Day - to post a YouTube link to the same music video on those days. It's more than just a simple routine and more than just a mere video - one of a handful that I share publicly, it's also something that touches deeply to me as someone who knows of a friend who serves, or have served, in America's Armed Forces.
   The video that I always tweet or post socially on those four days are of a soldier leaving home, his wife and his family back home to serve overseas. They're all interspersed with a younger self who saw his parents squabble in his eyes but has grown up to become a stronger man who's thankful of serving his country. The band who performed that song and the guy who's the subject of the video have something in common: they've served in the Navy and call home one of America's great military cities - Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach, VA.


Cole Childers grew up in the Seattle area as both a musician and as someone who wanted to do a service for our country. Fifteen years ago, he joined the U.S. Navy, where his armed forces experience helped influence his dark, emotional and fleeting brand of music that he possesses. In 2005 after a 6-month deployment, Cole formed Virginia Beach-based band Chasing Corona, and they performed at New York's Fleet Week three times as well as of course many times back in Hampton Roads. Eventually, the group would disband several years later and now Cole is a solo artist.
   For Chasing Corona's only and most notable hit, "Sand to Stone" received strong acclaim, widespread attention and WAS a regional hit on local radio in the Mid-Atlantic region. For the video, it was filmed, with special permission, on the premises of a local military base, and got a good amount of local interest from the local media (including NBC affiliate WAVY-TV 10) in market #42. Along with performance scenes, it included a cameo from a large hovercraft entitled Landing Craft Air Cushion, or LCAC for short, which he and the video's subject have worked in while in the Navy.

Why does this video strike a chord with me (other than for its military theme)? The video's main subject is someone who's very familiar to me. Jacob Petersen went to high school with yours truly in our hometown of Milpitas, CA, and after graduation in 2001 he moved out to Hampton Roads to enlist in the U.S. Navy - yes, just before that fateful day. There, he would become an engineer on LCAC Assault Craft Unit Four and visited many places around the world, including Bahrain, Japan, and the Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina ten years ago.
   This summer, Jake enlisted for one more 6-year enlistment with the Navy, and very soon he, his wife Crystal and their three kids will make the long drive back out to California, close to home down in San Diego, as he embarks on the latest phase of his life serving our country. And as was pointed out on MySpace back when my social media presence was limited, yes if you're a Real World fan like me Jake does bear a close resemblance to David from the Hollywood season of many years ago. And fellow MTV Trifecta member Chris T. of Are You The One? Season 1 also served in the Navy too.


So, here's the video that I'm sure you will move you as you watch Jake and his family deal with him going off to war, and the joy of homecoming day.



And here's the behind the scenes video...



To Jake, to Cole, and to everyone who serves in the military, thank you for what you do for helping to serve our country, and protect and defend the freedoms and way of life we all enjoy. And as I posted earlier, take advantage of the precious time you have with family and friends and be thankful for having the great support system you have because you never know what could happen next. And of course, Never Forget.

- DC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).