Wednesday, December 7, 2016

DC WRAP: Real World Bad Blood - "Drop The Mike"

BY DC CUEVA                     
@DC408Dxtr / @DC408DxNow

Tonight, an all-new episode of Real World Bad Blood takes center stage and before Life After Mike begins in Seattle, we have a refresher course to bring you here at DCBLOG with a DC WRAP of last week's episode - one full of emotions and racial feelings. There, we saw Mike get himself in trouble for saying the N-word and him bolting afterwards - the second time in 13 months that he has decided to leave a show of the Trifecta following bad behavior. We also had Kass speak at a Black Lives Matter protest in the aftermath of what happened in the house, and the group opened up about what the hardships they've gone through in their lives before coming to Seattle.
   As we prepare for L.A.M., in lieu of our traditional Things to Know episode wrap which generally appears at the beginning of our original weekly reviews of the episodes, coming up we'll have expanded analysis and perspective on this episode in another edition of DC Forum: Perspective. Then after the polls, we'll again liven things up by taking a look back at one of Real World's most infamous threesomes and how it brought back together a pair of exes, as well as a follow-up on a Real World alum being part of something we're looking forward to in the new year. See you after the break.



 DC FORUM: PERSPECTIVE 
A RACIALLY-CHARGED EPISODE 8

First, again last week's episode was so emotional and controversial that instead of offering our Things to Know look at the key moments, for this week again we'll be tapping into DC Forum: Perspective to offer extended thoughts and analysis from a broader standpoint. On our first Perspective a few weeks ago, we looked at what happened to Jordan and Orlana's once close friendship, how badly that ended and nearly led to the ladder committing suicide. which almost took the ladder's life. This time, the vibe is much more serious and much more relevant to what's happening in our world right now.
   As we've written here, The Real World's strongest strength over its 25-year run has been its ability to bring what's happening in real-life and what young people are talking about and dealing with from outside our windows and into our screens, and right into the situations the people who live in the house go through, making them relatable at the same time to those who are dealing with it themselves in their lives... they haven't lost that singular aspect and last week was proof of it.

The overarching storyline of Episode 8 was of Mike and him saying the N-word which led him to leave the house without having to face the potential of getting into arguments with the house about being racist or not. When we met him on his original season last year, we saw him as that guy who was a stripper and who would cause drama himself in his romances with Amanda and Kayla. Of course, there was what happened on the finale when he threw Amanda in his room when they got into an argument, for which he fessed up that no man should ever put their hands on a woman in an aggressive manner, and eventually he left the mansion prior to their Miracle in the Islands.
   For here, Mike brought together the group by the bonfire and brought a tradition he had when he was in high school. That would be of when his fraternity brothers gathered for the first time, they would do a "candle pass" where he invited them to pass a lantern, and while holding it they would tell them about their most accomplished moment or eye-opening experience was. Mike told the group, "I know you guys on the surface levels, but I really don't know too much about you guys on a serious note."
   Jordan revealed that her coming of age moment was of moving from her native Michigan down to Chicago by herself at just age 20. When it came down to those experiences that opened their eyes to this world, Theo was first to go, and revealed about the time he was arrested while attending Eastern Illinois University and costing him his football career (we'll be looking at that experience in an ExtraTime In-Depth later in our RW coverage). For Jenn, it was what happened with her last relationship when it became an abusive one in every retrospect: verbal, physical and mental. She added, "Just having someone knock down your confidence and making you think that you're not worth it was an eye-opener on realizing that I need to love yourself more."
   When it came to Mike, it was when he got to reveal a side of himself that we didn't know about until there. In case you missed it, here was his account...
"I was that kid that your parents told you not to hang out with. I was the most amount of fun, I was guaranteed to get your @$$ in trouble growing up. I was a really bad person... We got into drugs really bad and s... started going down and I got kicked out of school. I got sent to jail for 15 days, which doesn't sound like that bad, but in reality I got threatened to... I was going to get raped. I had to join the Arian brotherhood to stop me from getting raped. I came out of that s..., was like, 'Yo, I'm gonna walk the straight and narrow, but my boy OD'd on heroin. It was his funeral that opened my eyes, like, real quick. Because had that s... not happened to my f...... dude, I wouldn't be here. I would be nowhere, bro. I'd be six feet under probably right with him. It's mad love, man. Mad love for just appreciating life."
Jordan observed after hearing from him, "Mike has told me a little bit about his past, but seeing Mike that emotional about what had happened to him, it's all just intense." And Theo added, "I just want to say I'm thankful for all y'all opening up. You know what I'm saying? All you all bless me with you all gifts and you all struggles, and I appreciate that. You know what I'm saying? That's just from the heart on some real s..., man. So thank you."
   Outside of when Briana revealed that she had suffered a miscarriage on Season 2 and Ethan of Season 1 telling about that night of him almost getting paralyzed, AYTO as well as The Challenge doesn't go deep into the personal struggles of the castmates the way Real World does. So when we saw him reveal his true colors, it was our first time hearing about the tough hardships he endured before he made his way to Hawaii last year. These shows are as personal as you might possibly get in this genre, and represents the genuine, unique documentary nature of this show in hearing about these people and viewers watching what they go through have someone they can instantly click with in having gone through those experiences in their lives also.

For moment #2, later on when everyone is just enjoying themselves and Mike asks them to take part in a mock TV show, he uttered out the "N" word which instantly draws ire from everyone. Orlana confessed, "Mike using the N-word definitely is a soft spot for me just for the fact that I feel like people are forgetting the N-word is not just slang, it's a derogatory word." Jordan told Anika afterwards, "She hates when white people say the N word," while Kassius added, "I kind of give Mike a pass on the N word, which I don't often do. I just feel like we got a bond. It's like he's one of the guys I enjoy out of everybody. Only reason I'm accepting is 'cause I'm cool with him."
   And then, there was what happened when he and Jordan were on each other on the street and while he had his hands on her that he uttered another remark that was deemed questionable that we wouldn't dare to mention on here but made reference to blacks and coconut oil. After he made that comment towards her, she told him that was inappropriate and she would confess, "That wasn't cool. I didn't like that comment. I know that's not how he actually feels, but it doesn't make it okay." Lana added, "I'm shocked because granted, Mike does say the N-word, but I wouldn't think he would ever take it to that level to try and disrespect Jordan 'cause Jordan is half black. Like, that's in her blood. It's running through her veins."
   This would catch the attention of everyone when they would go to the club, as Peter would tell the group that Mike was feeling upset upon knowing that he made a big blunder, including punching the wall in the hallways there. They then realized that he was missing and Mike was actually walking back to the house, but the group knew that things weren't going to be good. And when him and Peter head to the confessional, he told him that he just wanted to go home for the reason that, when the show would ultimately be brought into our homes, he was going to be portrayed in a bad light and that he wouldn't be just himself.
   In his confessional, Mike told his story: "I live in f...... Spanish Harlem. That whole connotation is just mind-blowing to me that my name and racism was brought up in the same sentence. I feel, like, mad embarrassed. I'm really embarrassed that I'm getting played out like this. I'm really embarrassed that I'm getting looked at like this. I'm really embarrassed that I f...... said that. I really feel ignorant. I just feel stupid. So at this point, I just want to get out, man. I want to go home. This is not my life."
   In that last night, and in the confessional with Jordan, we saw him get into words with Theo. And of course, we saw him leave almost unnoticed much to everyone's shock and without him having to confront all those racial feelings sparked in this episode. Theo confessed, "I don't think Mike is racist. I mean, I don't get a racist vibe at all, and if I did, I probably would've brought it up to him like, 'I think you're racist.'" Robbie added, "I may not always think that Mike is 100% genuine and looking out for everyone's best interest, but I don't want to see him go home because if he leaves, it's just kind of like, 'This is what we know, and this is what we're gonna believe.' You never really stood here to tell us what really happened."
   When he left, Peter observed, "I'm pretty f...... pissed off. It's not really Mike's fault. He didn't know he was gonna leave the house tonight, but he still left with my f...... shoes." And while in bed, Jordan told Tyara, "He's gone. He's so f..... up for that. He told me he was falling in love with me, like, three days ago. He literally said some racist s... but everyone knows he's not racist. I've had his back this whole time. I'm so mad." Tya added, "The last thing I would say to Mike is that I feel like you should've stayed and at least defended yourself. I wish you didn't flee the scene so quickly."
   And as he left, Mike's parting words were this: "I know what I'm doing. Trust me. I appreciate the love and the consideration taken into making me want to stay, but if I continue staying here and I get looked at in a certain way when, like, it should be clearly obvious that this is not how I am... At this point, I'm sorry for being ignorant. I'm sorry for being uneducated. I'm sorry that I can't relate. Like, you can fault me as much as you want for making a chump comment, I guess, but how can you blame me if I don't know any better? (composes himself) I don't want to talk anymore. Just send me home."
   And when she talked with Kass, he had this to say: "You can't say you not racist then say some s... like that, bro, 'cause that s..., you disrespecting more than half of the cast. I was showing him real love. I was giving him the n..... pass and all that s... bro 'cause I think he genuine. But like, you don't just join no Aryan Brotherhood for nothing, bro, that's wrong, bro. The Aryans is the race that Hitler created when he was trying to say Jewish people had big nose, big breasts, and he was wiping they @$$ out. Like, that ... ... up. Because that's totally out of pocket. That's totally disrespectful. There's no room for that s...  . That's why he had to go." He added in his interview, "My blood is boiling so bad. Like, I know I can't go to sleep." And that led to him getting into words with Theo which, we're sure it'll lead to more bad blood taking place perhaps tonight.

And that brings us to our the third key moment of episode 8, which brings into focus something we saw just many months back on our Real World air. Earlier this year on Go Big or Go Home, racial feelings were intense and unlike what happened with Mike this drama spilled into the house. Of course, it ultimately led to the infamous fight between CeeJai and Jenna that saw both girls suffer the fate of the last two words in the words of the twist of that season's title. Since then, and most understandably, this year has been eventful in many retrospects, and one of the biggest news stories of what's been an eventful 2016 has been of racial protests in our country, both in the early part of this year, and now here late in the aftermath of the presidential election.
   In 2013, the world's attention was on the Orlando area when African American high schooler Trayvon Martin was gunned down by white man George Zimmerman, who would later be acquitted of the shooting and sparked enormous outrage. The Black Lives Matter hashtag trend began there, and after similar shooting deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO, New Yorker Eric Garner and Freddie Gray in Baltimore, it has become a movement that has become hard for some to get away from. This extended to pro sports, where NFL QB Colin Kapernick's decision to kneel instead of stand for the national anthem in protest of police brutality ignited a national debate. And when the road to the White House began in summer 2015, activists became involved in the presidential campaign and stayed until last month's climax which, in the wake of the election's outcome, has further divided this country and has now put people from different racial groups on edge.
   In the aftermath of what they all got to experience, the group went out to a BLM protest in the same Seattle streets that were the venue for the ugliness of what happened in 1999 when the World Trade Organization came to town, saw 40,000 people protest in and around the convention hall, and saw the police brutality and strong media coverage that cast the city in a bad light, and lead to the city's police chief resigning. This protest, unlike what we've seen of late, was much more peaceful and gave Robbie something to think about: "I know, this is a strong subject in the world right now, and it's an even stronger subject to all my roommates, so just being able to go there and support not only the cause but my roommates is pretty important to me."
   As Theo walked in the streets, he offered his view of the protest: "This is a prominent white and Asian community. Just seeing this just lets me know that it's not even people in predominantly black communities that go through things like this. Like, damn." Katrina added, "Hearing some of these stories and hearing the people, what they've been through, my heart hurts for them because, you know, we're all human, and another person should not treat another person wrong based on their skin color, and being here makes me understand that more." And Anika's thoughts? "My take on the Black Lives Matter movement is I think it's the power of communication. You know, whether it be, the small choice to listen or not to listen, you know, the big choice to go out and speak or not to go out and speak on police brutality and racism and the things that are happening in our country right now. For me, it's just eye-opening.
   Kassius says of these protests, "As I'm standing here watching, I really want to go up and say something because I felt like I've witnessed a lot of soft racism and just haven't supported my race like I should. I have to stand for something that I believe in for my fellow African-Americans." And when he did speak, these were his words: "Hello everybody, my name is Kassius. I just wanna speak up. I'm comfortable in the skin I'm in. I don't know how many of you all have dealt with racism directly, but I dealt with it many times. I've been summed up to be a ghetto-gangster killer, drug dealer, any thing just off the color of my skin, my hair style. I have to stand up for the people that are weak. I have to stand up for the people that are scared. I have to stand up for the people who can't defend themselves, so I just want to tell everybody that's going through suppression and that's being suppressed, keep your head up--you know what I'm saying? And continue to move forward."
   As he watched his cousin take the mic, Theo observed, "As a movement, I understand what we're trying to do, and I want to be there for Kass. Like, you have a story to tell, so tell your story. You've been through a lot, and I know that there's somebody out there that can relate to you." And after seeing what had happened to her earlier, Orlana added, "Kass' speech is very moving, and no matter what, he has every right to be speaking his truth and to be speaking his experience."

Now, my judgement on what we saw last week: again I won't use this site or my social channels to put down or condone castmates' on-air behavior. And also due to my narrow focus on just the main items of interest of the Trifecta, sports and pop culture, that's also kept me from focusing on things of a political or an issue-oriented nature, so I had to use Google and Wikipedia to find out about the "Black Lives Matter" movement and everything relating to this episode. Thus, this was actually my first time seeing extended footage of what has become something you pretty much can't get away from on your feeds or on the news, and seeing how deep this movement has become. It has opened my eyes to what's been going on the past few years in how several acts of police brutality against the African American community that have riled up feelings among an important part of our society that, now, should not be ignored. I do applaud BMP for putting this eye-opening march into last week's episode and bringing this movement into a show with a history of airing these issues and matters.
   For Mike: people did disapprove of seeing someone quit two straight MTV shows in the same sort of manner that we've seen of what happened to Adam Royer five years ago (he's become a changed man since that experience), and having to see two guys who I'm social friends with, Jay and Brandon, quit the last Challenges, get into twitter words about that thing TJ Lavin isn't fond of. But if Mike stayed in Seattle he would've become more vulnerable to getting into those arguments about race that would've gotten him that deeper of a black eye to his reputation. Though many people might get on me socially and in a reverse of what you'll see in the poll results below, by leaving the house it was the wise decision for him to get out of this situation before it got worse. He did fess up in recognizing that he uttered the "N" word while he was drunk and has taken actions to improve his well-being as well as learning a bit more about himself and his actions. Along with getting close to Jordan in the house, presumptively it was his behavior that had a part in breaking up with an AYTO alum he got to know upon his return from Seattle, Tori from last season.
   There's a practical reason why I've enjoyed watching The Real World for its entire run: putting these issues, real life situations and instances onto a strong platform of a channel young people have been watching for years, and to a show whose first season saw future writer and local politician Kevin and Julie from conservative Alabama get into a racial argument in the streets as the events surrounding the Rodney King beating were dominating the news in 1992. Racial tensions were strong back then, as they are right now, and we've seen race relations be discussed many times over the years on this show. Someone who's co-piloted Real World alongside co-creator Jon Murray since Mary Ellis-Bunim's passing 12 years ago, co-executive producer Jim Johnston, wrote in his Dailies diary during RW Hollywood eight years ago, "The Real World has always been at its best when it explores social issues like this, and forces us to examine our own feelings." That still rings true, and what we saw last week is proof of that when the two words of the show's title brings these real issues into our homes, it's in it's own league in the genre it invented and embodiment of its unique, documentary nature.



 DC FORUM: POLLS 
So after all that, here's the results of last week's Twitter polls...

Do you think someone should confront Mike for using the N-word?
 YES                                  89% 
● NO                                   11%
  Out of 27 Votes at @DC408Dxtr

Do you consider Mike a racist because of him using the N-word?
 YES, I believe he is.         50% 
 NO, he did not mean it.   50% 
  Out of 38 Votes at @DC408Dxtr

In your opinion, should Mike have left the house?
● YES                                  38%
 NO                                   62% 
  Out of 34 Votes at @DC408Dxtr


•     •     •

 #DCExtraTime 
.
CATCHING UP WITH...
JENNY & BRIAN (And Baby Violet)

There are two pairs of exes residing in this Real World Bad Blood house, and we've seen what's happened with Robbie & Jennifer in them deciding to turn their relationship into a civil one as she's now pursuing Peter. All that's left now is Anika & Will, and if what's happened so far with him dumping her food while she is out on the town, it's likely they'll leave Seattle with unresolved feelings. But for what they have might have to do to make things up, if they need an example they can look to a couple from Kansas City who made up two years ago down in San Francisco.
   The Real World as we know it now began just two years ago when the original G of reality TV took the unprecedented move of altering their format for the first time when Ex-Plosion brought the exes of the roommates to the Bay Area when the group didn't expect it. There, we saw Thomas get close to Jamie before his ex Hailey came in from the Metroplex; Jay find himself in trouble when Jenna came to town; and of course, Hurricane Ashley. To say the least, it reenergized this show and set the tone for what would come in the seasons full of twists that came after, and you can see elements of Season 29 in this current season up the I-5 in Seattle.
   For the most interesting love triangle in the City in the Bay, it would have to be of when Jenny came there single and upon moving into the house bonded with Cory, sealing their flirtation with them donning a couple of animal costumes and hooking up right inside the confessional. Before this, she was pursing an entertainment career in L.A. and also having a serious boyfriend in Brian, whom she met in a club back in the Midwest. He was there with her through thick and thin, even as she moved off to SoCal. But of course, she would be in for the surprise of her life when he and the four exes moved to the Bay.
   When that Ex-Plosion happened, it didn't take long for Brian to feel the heat of Jenny as when he found out about her hooking up with Cory before he arrived in town and then her flirting with guys and behavior while he was in the same club as her on several nights. Plus, there was what happened with vice versa with Brian cheating on Jenny as well. Much to her displeasure, Cory had developed a good bond with Brian despite the supposed awkwardness of them being involved with the blonde, but in the finale the two got into a fight in the streets and it cost him the love of his life, which in turn threatened to tear the house apart before they all moved out. But on the reunion, they hugged and made up.
   When she posted an IG photo of them just over a year after filming that season there in the Bay Area, she captioned, "When we first met 7 years ago❤️ I am so happy we are back together stronger than ever after going through all that drama. I can't wait to bring our baby girl into the world in just two months!! I love you @briantwilliamsjr." And it was nearly a year after the season ended and the buzz subsided that the biggest news would come for these two exes turned couple once again: in the KC snow in the midst of winter, Brian kissed Jenny's tummy as they announced the news that they were expecting their first baby, and in August of last year, they welcomed Violet Marie Williams.
   If you got to see "Love in the Real World" back last spring, they updated everyone on how being together, then being exes, then getting back together and now of being mommy and daddy. Eight years ago, the two met in a KC club and after having their love life filmed for our enjoyment, things are now nothing but fantastic for Jenny and Brian. That experience of being in the first Real World season to have a twist served a purpose of bringing them together again, and in seeing the pictures on her Instagram, they are tackling that ultimate life challenge of raising a baby while also finding true love. Next stop perhaps is the two becoming man & wife, along with a career in real estate as their fellow castmates stay in the spotlight of being on TV.


FOLLOW-UP: KARAMO RETURNS
Finally, since DCBLOG's focus is on storytelling and social reaction and also keeping our feet in the present in devoting energies to covering whatever's the ongoing Trifecta season, generally it's not our thing here to start, spread or discuss rumors about anything relating to a future season. It's only when something of particular interest comes up that we mention it here - just as we did when we discussed Mike's crossover from AYTO to the Real World this past summer... this week is one of those times.
   If you've been noticing the lack of social media activity among many members of the Trifecta since we began this new cycle in October, then it's for a good reason: filming took place during that month and into late November for Season 29 of The Challenge over in Thailand, as well as for Season 5 of Are You The One? in the Dominican Republic -- and of course, DCBLOG will be all over those seasons when the buzz for them begin. It's also been the case for the past few weeks with members of the first four seasons of AYTO joining with a few from the AYTO-5 for a spin-off that's taking place in Australia, where as of this weekend it is now officially summer down under. This was likely created in the wake of some Challenge purists wanting to keep their membership closed to just the Bunim-Murray family. That's where we have a Follow-Up on for our third & last subject of Week 8.
   Earlier this year, we got to Catch Up With two of Real World's proud alums of the LGBT community: Davis Mallory from the Denver season and now a budding musician, and Karamo Brown from over a decade ago on Real World Philadelphia - the show's first African-American gay castmate. In a matter of coincidence of this scoop being uncovered, Karamo found himself in just about the same scenario of what Mike had to deal with in Seattle of discussions on race and mentions of the N-word, and where he also dealt with the police one night there. Since then, he has become a dad when a letter from Texas' attorney general told him that he had a 10-year-old son and a half brother...all as he's pursuing hosting work and other things that come his way.
   Through the tireless work of fan sites and accounts, it was revealed through photos and insider info that Karamo will host the new Are You The One? spinoff when it goes down in the new year, taking over for the man who presides over the fate of 20 singles, 10 light beams, a truth booth and money - Ryan Devlin. So far there in Melbourne - the country's second largest city and epicenter of the nation's sports obsession, Karamo has not only filmed that season, he's gotten to hang out with a kangaroo and spend much needed family time there too, as that aforementioned son Jason just turned 20 and is spending it in the summer sun rather than in the winter cool.
   Karamo posted on his Instagram @KaramoBrown, "#Thanksgiving is over but I'm thankful that my son & sister came all the way to #Australia to see me Host my new MTV series! #Family #MillionaireInTheMaking" And on his son's birthday, he posted, "Happy Birthday Prince! @rachelssideburns 🎂🎉🎂🎉Today my son turned 20 yrs old, here in Australia! Im so proud of the man you've grown into. I love you more than Anything in the world!"


▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

And that will bring to an end our look at Episode 8 of Real World Bad Blood. As you wait for tonight's episode, various webcasts have interviewed the cast about that episode and what we've seen so far. So, check out the following links:
● In the aftermath of last week's episode, the reality TV-based podcast Bring Me Your Torch with hosts Elaine and Jesse, landed the first exit interview with RW Bad Blood's Mike on the day after. Of course, they discussed what happened with the racial controversy, him leaving the house, his experience in Seattle and his ongoing Twitter beef with Kailah from last season. Check out that podcast here, as well as weekly podcasts reviewing Real World and all else reality and scripted TV.
● Also last week, A-Connection TV welcomed Peter to their YouTube webcast, as Mike's Bad Blood counterpart discussed what's happened so far at about the two-third's mark of the season, and of course his romance with Jennifer. See that webcast here, and check out that site which includes plenty of coverage of the BMP-produced show on Oxygen, Bad Girls Club.
● And lastly, WITIN Radio got to talk to Anika as they talked about what's happening so far in Seattle, ex Will and her budding media career as well. Listen to that podcast on PodBean, and check out WITIN Radio's other interviews including the voice of Siri, those in the entertainment business and discussions on what's happening in pop culture.

Make sure to follow DCNOW for live tweets of Real World starting at 10:00PM ET/7:00PM PT on @DC408Dxtr and join the conversation at #DCRealWorld. Following the live tweets out east, or proceeding them out west, DC ExtraTime will look ahead at the 2017 Grammy Awards, for which the nominees were announced yesterday, and we'll have reaction from the nominees.
   Of course, DCBLOG will have the 'Pulse of tonight's episode for you this weekend plus our usual ExtraTime material. Also, if you got questions on reality TV for our upcoming 2016 Reality Debrief, send them away to me at @DC408Dxtr with the hashtag #AskDCBLOG and me and Andrew Kirk may answer them later this month.
   That's how we look at it for the week that was in the MTV Trifecta. Thanks for joining me, and until we talk later tonight on DCNOW, see you then.

- I AM DC