Wednesday, July 3, 2013

DC Blog - 11:11

By DC Cueva

With the season opener of MTV's The Challenge: Rivals II now just 7 days from tonight, so goes into overdrive the anticipation for the wildest season yet for what many call the 5th major sport, a highlight for me in this non-Olympic/World Cup summer along with the trip I'll be taking shortly to Las Vegas. As the trailer & the promos have shown us these last few weeks, it sure promises to live up to TJ Lavin's word of being "the best season ever" with a packed cast of fan favorites familiar to both me & challenge fans alike. But as the countdown to 10PM on July 10th continues, I'd like to take a moment to look at something that both one competitor on this cast and yours truly have in common.

If you've been a follower to my Twitter @dc408dxtr over the last year or are one in my inner circle for family & friends who's a friend of mine on Facebook (I keep it closed to the public btw to keep it classy), you all might be wondering, "Why does DC tweet or post 11:11 every night?"

A great fella from Baltimore named Trey Weatherholtz, who starred on Real World St. Thomas and competitor on both the recent & upcoming Challenges (Battle of the Seasons and Rivals II), tweets it just about every day at 11:11 a.m. & p.m., his time Eastern. I took his idea and now it's become the norm for me to post 11:11 every night, Pacific time, both on Twitter and Facebook. And that is the legacy I have of the first RW cast that I ever got to interact directly with, starting the same day I joined Twitter as premiere night - June 27, 2012, 53 weeks ago this week. And coincidentally, Trey was the 2nd person to tweet back to me...the first being Laura.

Besides a Facebook friend telling me of the 11th hour "being the magic number due to prime numbers being involved," those who study numbers believe 11:11 is linked to events that happen often than those that happen coincidentally or by the luck of the draw. Some claim it's an auspicious draw, while others feel it's a spirit presence. But the feeling behind 11:11 is that it has adopted mysterical powers from those w/ a New Age outlook. And we can't forget a couple years ago that many people marked the once-a-century occurrence of 11/11/11, from numerous weddings were held on that Friday in Vegas & Asia to babies born on that day receiving media coverage, plus reminders of Veterans Day & the 11th hour deal on November 11, 1918 that ended World War I.

Why does Trey tweet 11:11? Well, let his answer from an interview with Honest Reviews Corner during RWSTT explain that to you: 
"A long time ago when I had a twitter pre the Real World, I followed defensive lineman Warren Sapp. He used to always tweet 11:11, I just thought was so cool, so I adopted it from him and copied him. A lot of people have caught on and seem to do it now. I get a lot of people asking me to tweet them or follow them and it's really hard to so that for hundreds of people who tweet me every day. I don't want people to take offense to me not responding to everyone. I do appreciate their tweets and the 11:11 is just something fun I do."

So, when you happen to watch Trey and the rest of the all-star cast who will compete in Thailand on Rivals II starting next Wednesday on MTV - something he & his fans like to call "Trey Day", then (except if you're in Maryland) don't think about his Ravens beating my Niners in Super Bowl XLVII (and this YouTube vid of him & his Weatherholtz fam celebrating that win - http://youtu.be/NBPQo2jeT3I), or the fact that he will be paired up with his rival Thor - aka Zach and having good buddy from St. Thomas & Mr. Gentle Giant Ginger Robb along for the ride too...just think about those four lucky numbers.


With a week to go until that Challenge, DC Blog & @dc408dxtr on Twitter will be all over it as I interact with the cast & fellow fans on twitter and provide my As DC Sees It commentary & recaps on here of the drama & competition unfolds from Thailand. And I can guarantee you, it will be a madhouse, both in the Challenge house in Thailand and on Twitter where Trey, the cast & fans like me will interact & experience Rivals II together. Can't wait for next Wednesday. And an early Happy 4th of July, too.

- DC
@DC408dxtr


- For more of Trey's HRC interview:
http://honestreviewscorner.com/2012/07/18/interview-with-the-real-worlds-trey-weatherholtz/
- And to learn about 11:11 where I sourced & re-edited a portion of my info on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11:11_(númerology).

ADDED:
I forgot to mention that pre-Real World, Trey got to film a music video for local Baltimore band Cold Harbour, here he is in the band's clip for "A Light Inside Your Flaws."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).