Friday, April 9, 2021

DC ExtraTime: Remembering Bootstrap

BY DC CUEVA                        
 @DC408DXTR  @ IG/YT/SC/TB/TK

Instagram @WestonBergmann
Sixteen years ago when they tuned to the premiere of Season 16 of The Real World in Austin, MTV viewers first discovered a 19-year-old young fella whose audition tape that got him casted showed him sporting a mohawk while attending Arizona State University and being depicted as that stereotypical frat guy in college. But once you got to really know him a bit more, you knew that Wes Bergmann was anything but: someone who was an aspiring entrepreneur who would eventually become the most prominent face of his own business incubator company back in his home base of the Midwest.

The Wes most of us know is the one who has evolved greatly from his college days to being part of Challenge royalty: falling in love with a Latina in Texas, getting heated in The Duel elimination arena en route to the first of his two titles, the countless times where he has put his political playbook to work, and of course the dealings he's had with a seven-time champion including its most recent chapter last year. And whether you like him or not, you always had to respect what this guy from KC has done over the years -- there's perhaps no better ginger man than him in the world of MTV Reality television.

He's not quite yet at the level of many of his fellow contemporaries in this world of the fifth major sport... that is, in the rapidly-growing category of those who are parents and those who are about to welcome new babies. But in a way, Wes has spent much of this time outside of the Challenge house also being a dad... and last month, he got to say farewell to his own "man's best friend" and the one who's his biggest fan -- his beloved dog.

Glance over at Wes' Instagram account which bears his full first name of Weston, and you are inundated with a look at the many sides of him -- working around town with BetaBlox, his web project Friends with Benefits, that viral moment of having a shoe thrown in his face by CT in the first Double Agents daily challenge, and other goodies from behind the scenes. But during all this, he's also offered his 360,000+ followers a glimpse into the life of having a pet to serve as his companion.

When Wes made his Instagram debut on Christmas Eve 2015 after filming Rivals 3 down in Mexico, the first picture he posted there was that of his dog, Bootstrap. He is part of the breed of St. Bernard dogs, very large working dogs who first gained great awareness for their hard work serving as rescue dogs spotting lost alpine skiers in the Western Alps in Italy and Switzerland in the mid-1600's. To many of us in America, the best known St. Bernard dog is Beethoven from the '90s film series bearing his name.



Wes first adopted that adorable dog while we watching him compete on the first Battle of the Exes (nine years ago if you're counting), just after he stated his intentions on Twitter of wanting a St. Bernard -- and the rest is history. Of the 700+ photos Wes has on his IG channel, Bootstrap would be part of many of them: cuddling with daddy ginger in his bed, wearing a Girls Gone Wild hat, and so many other sites that make him relatable to so many of us who spent our lives having that trusted sidekick to come home to -- and as of late, having that feeling that we're not alone in this time of living the lockdown life.




Some of the pics above show how Bootstrap was as important to Wes as wife Amanda, his solid work ethic and his status as a Challenge legend. But not everything can last forever except for, of course, those cherished memories: in early March, Wes announced that Bootstrap had been diagnosed with bone cancer when a large, rapidly-growing tumor was found. He wrote, "This is an incredibly challenging phase of my life. 90% of me is beyond grateful for this elongated time to say goodbye. Most dog parents never get that luxury. He was spoiled already and now he's on another level."

And despite their best efforts to find a cure for him, it was a week after that the tough choice was made to euthanize Bootstrap, and bringing this chapter of Wes' life to an end but not without making the most of their last week together. And when he did pass away in the arms of his parents his owner eulogized, "He was my best friend, my co-founder, my son, and the wingman that brought me together with my wife. Although the pain is immense right now, the sheer joy, laughter, and companionship he's brought our family for almost ten years is unmeasurable."





Just as they did in saying farewell to another beloved fan of the animal variety in Cara Maria's horse Garnett earlier this winter, she and the rest of Challenge Nation - and two castaways from Survivor - gathered together to send their thoughts to Wes and Amanda after they put down Bootstrap.

@westonbergmann: Rest In Peace, Bootstrap. We had to take him in this morning to put him down after a very tough all-nighter. It was an incredibly peaceful process. He fell asleep in Amanda and I’s arms with one final look and goodbye. We had the most amazing last week with him and are beyond grateful for that time. He was my best friend, my co-founder, my son, and the wingman that brought me together with my wife. Although the pain is immense right now, the sheer joy, laughter, and companionship he’s brought our family for almost ten years is unmeasurable. To my friends, I love you, but I’m not gonna be answering the phone for awhile. 💔
• @westonbergmann: "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" 147:3 🙏
• @jennacompono: Oh my heart wes I’m sorry 😢❤️
• @tori_deal: 😢 YOu guys gave him the best home a doggie could ask for
• @nam.vo.official: Sincere condolences 💐 Bro! 🙏🏼 take you time and keep the memories in your heart forever. He sure had an amazing life with you! 🥰❤️
• @kailah_casillas: I’m so sorry for your loss, Wes & @nomastayinkc 😔♥️
• @paulcalafiore_: Fuck brother! I’m so sorry! ❤️❤️
• @jenniferwestofficial: So sorry for your loss Wes.... he was a thoroughly loved dog ❤️❤️
• @natalieeand: 💔💔💔
• @josh_martinez_: So sorry bud 🙏🏽
• @swaggyctv: Tough 😞 so sorry man! Worst type of feeling. Stay up big bro 🤞🏾
• @karatehottiemma: Sending my love
• @kylecgshore: Love you my brother ❤️
• @mtvhunter: I’m sorry brother! Praying for you and Amanda.
• @justinavalentine: So sorry for your loss Wes🙏🏼 They really are family and the truest friends 🙏🏼🙏🏼❤️
• @misscaramaria: Oh my god wes. No 😢 my heart just fell. Im so incredibly sorry for your loss. He was so so so so so so so loved and he knew it. Take comfort in that. He singing bon jovi in heaven now. I will tell garnett to say “hay ” to him at the gates❤️
• @theo_campbell91: 🙏🏽
• @thelionelgreen: So sorry my man
• @mtv_britinicol: Oh honey I am so so sorry to hear this. I’m keeping you and Amanda in my prayers and sending as many good vibes this universe can handle😔 I love you both.
• @bradfiorenza: I’m so sorry & wish you peace in the pain 🙏
• @kylecgshore: So sorry brother, just remember I love you ❤️
• @brjotape: Sorry for you loss buddy!
• @jqskim: I’m sorry bro!! RIP. ❤️🙌 love you man!
• @turabi: 😢😢😢😢
• @justjemm_: Been thinking about you & @nomastayinkc 💙💜
• @corywharton_ig: NOOOOOOOOO 😢
• @kcsince1987: So sorry for your loss Wes this absolutely breaks my heart to see you and your family go through this 😔 stay up fam love you ❤️❤️❤️
• @themarklong: This pic is heartbreaking and shows the love all at once😞 the bond between a MAN and his DOG is unmeasurable. Find some comfort Wes in knowing you gave him 100% of your heart ❤️
• @fessyfitness: Stay strong brodie, I’m sure you have so many great memories to cherish forever ❤️
• @n_zanattamtv: ❤️❤️❤️😢😢 I’m so sorry for your loss
• @jaygmtv: Hey Wes. I remember on exes 2 how much you talked about the dog. I’ve also been there before. He was part of your family and your beat friend. I’m sorry brotha
• @wewantogs: ❤️🙏🏼❤️🙏🏼
• @d.e.r.e.k.c: Sorry @westonbergmann this is a hard thing to go thru.
• @nehemiahlclark: Such hard news to hear. He was my godson who I loved dearly even though he liked to attack me. It’s so hard losing a family member like this. He brought everyone around him joy and I am truly sorry for the lost. Love you both ❤️❤️
• @thechallengeoverdose: Sorry for you loss Wes, sending prayers 🙏❤️
• @avereytressler: I'm so sorry Wes. He was a good one. #ripbootstrap #alldogsgotoheaven
• @beaucaspersmart: 👏👏❤️❤️
• @_nelsonthomas: 🙏🏾❤️
• @melindastolpmtv: I love you! Here if you need me! 😢
• @paulabeckertyo: So sorry for your loss Wes, but happy that you had a dog so wonderful
• @royleethebarber: Prayers for you brother 🙏🏽 Bootstrap rest easy 🐶
• @christophercardell: Very sorry for your loss, sending you well wishes and comfort during this time.
• @ruthieworld: Sorry man keep the memories and sending hugs 😢
• @iamkamiam_: RIP 💞
• @wendellholland Wendall Holland/Survivor Ghost Island champion: 🙏🏿🖤 sending love bro. Bootstrap is in a better place with many many great pups to chill with. My main man Rover is prolly showing him the ropes.

@nomastayinkc: “There is love in holding on... and there is love in letting go.” 😘 Bootstrap made his way to Doggie Heaven this morning (we sent him with a permission slip just to be sure- “All dogs go to Heaven buddy- don’t let them tell you otherwise.”) He made it clear it was time and despite some early signs we may have months instead of days, we are grateful for the good days we had post-cancer-diagnosis to cuddle him a little tighter and let him know how much he meant to Wes and me 💔  His passing was as peaceful as we could have asked for- he laid back against us, resting his body on Wes and his head on my lap, stayed calm and looked up at us right before he went, as if to tell us he loved us and we were going to be okay- and then he left us with one long, calm exhale. A life well-lived indeed. Since I held him as a puppy I knew we were in for a great adventure, and we truly were 🐶  I won’t lie- our hearts are heavy and the house is WAY too quiet and I’m just not sure how we’ll ever get used to this “new normal”. But we are so blessed to have had a healthy Bootstrap in our lives for so many years, and in particular I will always cherish his last year on earth as the best quarantine buddy anyone could have asked for. I’m so glad I was home for 365 days in a row to fall asleep next to and wake up by this magnificent gift. To do yoga with at home. To take the short end of the couch so he could sprawl out. To laugh with my husband over our son’s antics. To watch him (and us) become even more codependent. This time was precious 🙏  Bootstrap, you’ve taught me more about love and loss than I ever even wanted to know, but you’ve also taught me that all we have is the present moment and not to miss it. The past week I soaked up so many moments that I hope I remember forever 🙏 And we can’t wait to be back together with our sweet son someday- I’ll take the short end of the couch still, don’t worry buddy 🌈  Please keep @westonbergmann and me in your thoughts & prayers as we mourn this great loss 💔
• @jennacompono: Awww I’m sorry 😢❤️
• @bradfiorenza: Heart breaking 😔 So sorry
• @misscaramaria: Boots as a puppy 😩😩😩 what a happy loved and cared for doggy. In your arms from the beginning to the end. All love to the family during this time girl. ❤️
• @_nelsonthomas: 🙏🏾❤️
• @kylecgshore: I’m so sorry for you and the family ❤️
• @paulcalafiore_: I’m sending so much love y’all’s way!
• @melindastolpmtv: Love you sweetie! I’m here for you! 🤗
• @kendalsheppard: Ohhhh sweet girl! I'm so sorry... but also so happy for the life he's had and forthankful for the parents he learned love from. 💗
@ninja_natalie: Sending Bootstrap all the extra love 💗 🥺
• @kellyannejudd: Heartbreaking. Bootstrap will forever be a legend. I’m so sorry for your families loss. Thank you for sharing.
• @miriamfried: I’m so sorry for your loss😢 sending so much love ❤️
• @wendellholland: 🙏🏿🖤
• @mich_fitz Michelle Fitzgerald/Survivor: Omg I’m so sorry for your loss BB girl 😢💕


And Wes got to thank everyone in an update video below, where in the written caption he wrote about the emptiness he's still getting used to: "I feel pain every time I'm alone. Every time I come home and there's no wagging tail to greet me. I feel pain in the morning when he's not there to cuddle. But that pain is slowly being turned into just positive memories, and a appreciation for everything he brought me."  Indeed, Bootstrap had a such an amazing life as the unofficial mascot of this Challenge icon.



- I AM DC
#DCBLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).