Sunday, January 26, 2014

DC SocialPulse: Are You The One? - The Premiere

*** Reader Advisory: The Following Post Contains
Adult Language. Viewer Discretion is Advised. ***

By DC Cueva
@DC408dxtr

This week saw me take the opportunity to sample yet another new MTV show. As you all know, I'm a passionate fan of The Real World and The Challenge, and I'm obviously enjoying RW Ex-Plosion and after a roller coaster episode this week with Jay's mom suddenly passing away and Ashley being evicted, I'm eagerly anticipating the bombshell that comes next week with the exes moving in. But I don't limit my MTV viewing to just those shows only, as I'm open more than others to all of what else my favorite entertainment-based cable channel has to offer. The fact I've become very good twitter friends with cast members from a slew of other MTV reality shows (crazy kids in West Virginia, bartenders in Texas, nurses in the OC and passionate people in Uptown NY) is proof of how I'm passionate I am of the whole MTV scene, not just of the shows that, to me, feels almost like a religion.

On late Tuesday night after the season premiere of Teen Mom II, viewers got to check out the premiere of Are You The One?, MTV's bold love experiment where 10 single girls and 10 single guys have been brought together on the Hawaiian island of Kauai to not only live with each other, but also try & find their perfect match. And should all of the puzzle pieces be put in their exact places, they will all share in the biggest prize an MTV show has ever offered...$1 MILLION.
   I was brought to the show thanks to, of all things, a cast member - Jessica - liking some of my RW pix on Instagram just after the buzz began. Then after watching the trailer, I gave all the cast members a follow and I've become as good a friend with them as I am to the rest of the MTV community. And I also thought to myself that, since it's something I'm not usually accustomed to watching but with people that I've just become friends with socially, with elements from shows I've become familiar with and the record sum of money that will all go to them if all of them are correctly aligned with each other, then "Why not give it a try?" I became hooked by the first minute of the premiere.

And now, to the main event as we bring you the tweets of the cast and fans as America stayed up after Teen Mom for the premiere of Are You The One?. Plus in the As Fans Saw It section, you'll see tweets from me and fellow RW/Challenge fans, as well as my tweets to some of the cast, both on premiere night and in the days leading up to the show. And following the tweets, I'll offer my thoughts on the premiere. As we begin, please note there is explicit language in certain tweets below, but I am keeping it uncensored in order to retain the heat of the moment. So if you are mature enough, please read with discretion. :-)  So without ado, off we go to the islands.



> The Big Day Finally Arrives
@AREUTHE1: The day has finally come, #AreYouTheOne  premieres tonight at 11/10c on MTV! It's an experiment you don't want to miss.
@amberlee091: Waiting on my flight! ✈πŸ’ΊπŸ˜ Seriously stoked to see @PaigeBrendel @Jess_Daniellee @dubbucks @EDiamond007 !! #MTV #AreYouTheOne
@IamAdamKuhn: I am making my MTV debut tonight on @AREUTHE1 sooo crazy! Everyone make sure to tune in.
@shandathapanda: Be original. Be you.
@shandathapanda: #AreYouTheOne premieres tonight! So thankful, ecstatic and humbled that I was a part of the experience and now a part of the @MTV family!
@MiszModelChiq: Tonight is the night!!! @areuthe1 premiere on mtv ! I will be at TGI Fridays in montrose at 10 then… http://t.co/LsmS9Hip6I
@MiszModelChiq: School and then getting ready for tonight !!
@TophsTweets: Follow your heart but take the mind with you #CarpeDiem
@IamAdamKuhn: I don't take the recommended dosage of anything. Gym time #lifetime
@brittany_baldi: click this! I am a picky dater. who could be my #perfectmatch #areyoutheone #love #neversettle … pic.twitter.com/y20tIZBqIQ
@Coleysia: Can y'all believe it's tonight? Sheesh! Time flies! I remember when I was  boarding the plane to Hawaii in tears scared as crap now the show is about to air and I'm in tears, scared as crap. Lol. This is for everybody in #alabama #selma #aamu #aka I love y'all. The support has been crazy. Don't get so caught up in the show though. It's truly only the beginning for me. Like really. Lol. Ok. I'm done. Oh. If you're in Atlanta please RSVP for the premier party ASAP! Love y'all! See you tonight! 😘😘😘😊😊😊 http://instagram.com/p/jcHeSpkrK3/
@brittany_baldi: TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT! THANKS FOR ALL THE GOODLUCK. HOPE YOU'LL BE WATCHING @MTV AT 11/10C #areyoutheone #BostonStrong #love #drama #friends
@kklusby: ARE YOU THE ONE? Premieres Tonight on MTV at 11/10c! Don't forget to tune in & catch me at the Library… http://instagram.com/p/jcJSt5koAC/
@Coleysia: I'm so impressed! The article for http://AL.com  was beautifully written. If y'all get a chance go check it… http://instagram.com/p/jcKO7tErOT/ 
@shandathapanda: Who is trynaaaaa arm wrestle?
@Coleysia: I need to get up. I always do this.
@TophsTweets: Bored beyond belief right now working in this house....some one needs to give me a good excuse to leave ANYWHERE!
@PaigeBrendel: Tonight's the night! @mtv @areuthe1 pic.twitter.com/MlTVJo732t
@TophsTweets: @IamAdamKuhn it explains a lot... It's still your motha fuckin set!
@TophsTweets: @amberlee091 @PaigeBrendel @Jess_Daniellee @dubbucks @EDiamond007 you guys gonna be sooo sassy!!!
@TophsTweets: @shandathapanda those forearms be intimidating as a mug doe #tomuchathlete
@PaigeBrendel: Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, China, Australia, UK and more are airing our show. We are blessed!@mtv
@MiszModelChiq: This is all so surreal!! Thanks everyone for the support!
@dubbucks:Thanks fam I appreciate it! Hope you enjoy it RT@BigTymers228: @dubbuckstonight is your night GL tonight on are you the one tonight Wes
@dubbucks: @shandathapanda πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’
@IamAdamKuhn: I don't take the recommended dosage of anything. Gym time#lifetime
@TophsTweets: @IamAdamKuhn it explains a lot... It's still your motha fuckin set!
@IamAdamKuhn: @TophsTweets you ready for tonight?!
@TophsTweets: @IamAdamKuhn I am SOOO ready man sooo ready!!! Are you!?!?
@IamAdamKuhn: @TophsTweets yeah man it's almost surreal! I can't wait! Only a few more hours!
@TophsTweets: @IamAdamKuhn dude I know right NATION wide to night and GLOBAL in a few days!!!
@IamAdamKuhn: @TophsTweets haha that is insane to even think about!
@TophsTweets: @IamAdamKuhn to insane lol
@IamAdamKuhn: If you're not watching MTV tonight at 11PM EST then I don't know what you're doing with your life.
@TophsTweets: With the premier of #MTV #AreYouTheOne right around the comer...What would YOUR perfect match/relationship  be like?
@VH1ElizabethAnn: πŸŽ‰#Congrats on your new show #mtv #areyoutheone #allthebest🌟I'll be watching tonightπŸ“ΊπŸ’« http://t.co/34iyQR1ejd
@ryanmalaty: Tonight's the night!!! #AreYouTheOne
@RyanDevlin: ARE YOU THE ONE? premiers tonight on MTV at 11pm with yours truly in the middle of the madness. And it is MADNESS. http://t.co/ELzzfsyOOe
@brittany_baldi: I want to see your reaction tweets tonight during the premier of @AREUTHE1 11/10c @mtv! GET PUMPED UP. #turndownforwhat #areyoutheone
@ryanmalaty: And so it begins... My MTV journey #AreYouTheOne | http://t.co/bDllP6rgzV
@IamAdamKuhn: A little over 4 hours until the premier of @AREUTHE1 I cannot wait!
@chrisscali: put on every tv in your house and when the show airs at 11 its #TEAMBROOKLYN #TEAMBROOKLYN
@brittany_baldi: @chrisscali they gutta be yelling #BSup #citylife
@shandathapanda: HOLY SHIT. I'm a nervous wreck. #AreYouTheOne airs so soon.
@dubbucks: @shandathapanda you'll be fine! We all in the same boat boo! Just turn up! Lol
@JayGMTV: Dont forget tonight @MTV at 11pm et my boy @chrisscali will be om the new hit show "Are You The One?" #teamscali #AreYouTheOne New York!
@JayGMTV: @TophsTweets is on #areyoutheone also tonight. Keep an eye out. Everyones on tv now haha
@DeenaNicoleMTV: Don't forget to watch my friend @chrisscali on @MTV at 11 pm for the premiere of #areyoutheone @areuthe1
@JennaCompono: Everyone better watch my boy @ryanmalaty on are you the one tnite :)) !!
@chrisscali: #AreYouTheOne  #teambrooklyn
@MiszModelChiq: Charlie is ready are you?! Tonight 11:00pm on MTV!! #areyoutheone #mtv @areuthe1 http://t.co/MWzbQzX3HP
@MTV: If your perfect match was right in front of you, would you even know it? 'Are You The One?' TONIGHT at 11/10c on MTV! http://t.co/peXjb4JCPw
@IamAdamKuhn: @amberlee091 @TophsTweets @shandathapanda  @dubbucks @ryanmalaty @EDiamond007  @brittany_baldi @chrisscali an hour till #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: T minus ONE HOUR till #AreYouTheOne premiers on @MTV
@chrisscali: one more hour until the series premire of #AreYouTheOne on @mtv dont forget to tune in 11pm/ 10pm C #teambrooklyn
@brittany_baldi: some of the #areyoutheone cast will be #livetweeting during the season premier! #followus 11/10c @mtv #wickedexcited #tweetus
@EDiamond007: #areyoutheone get at me during the premier! Live tweets! One hour! #EFD #turndownforwhat
@Coleysia: It's almost time! Y'all ready? http://t.co/V7HNzyjy6i
@ryanmalaty: I'll be live-tweeting during the premier of #AreYouTheOne? Shoot me a #teamryan for support, and enjoy the show!
@chrisscali: live tweets from me during the premire! get at me !! .. #mtv #AreYouTheOne #teambrooklyn
@Coleysia: #AreYouTheOne in 30 minutes!!! Weeeeezuuupppppp!!!
@shandathapanda: 20 minutes until #AreYouTheOne premieres! Retweet if you're excited as I am and get the trend started!
@illBeJacy: #AreYouTheOne http://t.co/Ag3PGwx6ZM
@brittany_baldi: @illBeJacy my girl! lookin sexy. #smokeshow you latina doll <3
@IamJoeyDillon: Let's get this show started!!!!! #areyoutheone @areuthe1 #mtv
@IamAdamKuhn: 10 minutes until #MTV #AreYouTheOne
@amberlee091: READY FOR THE PREMIERE OF ARE YOU THE ONE? Love you all!! #mtv #areyoutheone #love paigebrendel… http://t.co/1Tnh1mGlBr
@RyanDevlin: East coast! Start watching my face on MTV in 3 minutes. West coast! I'll text you a photo of my face to hold you over. Send me your phone #.

> As The Cast Saw It
@chrisscali: #AreYouTheOne right now @mtv @AREUTHE1 #teambrooklyn
@ryanmalaty: It's on!!! @MTV #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: The fruit of my trees...??? Haha I don't even know #AreYouTheOne
@chrisscali: #mtv #teambrooklyn #AreYouTheOne lets goooooo
@ryanmalaty: All for one and one for all, a million dollars until we fall (whatever just take a shot) #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: You gotta slay a couple dragons before you get to the princess! @MaybachDiamonds #AreYouTheOne
@Coleysia: Omg!!!
@brittany_baldi: I love jj! Gutta slay some dragons before meeting the princess #areyoutheone
@Coleysia: Drama already!! @shandathapanda @illBeJacy !!! Lol!!
@IamAdamKuhn: Lewis loves @AREUTHE1 #AreYouTheOne Do you?!!!? http://t.co/0kCAnIp8g7
@Andre_sinclair1: My favorite Moive is the notebook #AreYouTheOne
@MiszModelChiq: It's already getting real @AREUTHE1 @MTV
@shandathapanda: Yo at least I'm real as fuck! #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: Lmao we're sooo DRUNK @TophsTweets #AreYouTheOne
@chrisscali: thank you for all the love !! hash tag #teambrooklyn !
@chrisscali: try an guess whos who !!! #teambrooklyn
@Andre_sinclair1: Hope all of u are tuned into #AreYouTheOne on RIGHT now!!!!!
@chrisscali: get us trending !! #AreYouTheOne
@TophsTweets: OMG hahahaha
@chrisscali: oh im awesome ? #AreYouTheOne
@amberlee091: Who the hell pays attention to feet y'all??? Do I win this first challenge?? #mtv #AreYouTheOne
@brittany_baldi: @Jess_Daniellee #SWEET #TITS its #CHALLENGEDAY #areyoutheone
@ryanmalaty: That selfie challenge was so awkward.. #AreYouTheOne
@Coleysia: Y'all I'm so crunk right now. Bruh. Lol!! Shout tf out to Mtv!!!
@brittany_baldi: do I end up on a #date ? #areyoutheone what are your thoughts?? #tweetme @mtv #followme
@brittany_baldi: @MaybachDiamonds I love jj! Gutta slay some dragons before meeting the princess #AreYouTheOne #GuyCode  I LIKE
@chrisscali: feet really?
@Coleysia: #areyoutheone
@ryanmalaty: You know what they say about guys with a tie-breaking foot! #AreYouTheOne @amberlee091
@chrisscali: im loving the love !!! ... #AreYouTheOne
@chrisscali: can anyone guess my match yet?
@IamJoeyDillon: That backflip though #MTV @MTV
@chrisscali: first make out whatssss uppppppp
@chrisscali: this house is about to get crazy
@ryanmalaty: @SimoneKelly_ why are you wearing clothes? #AreYouTheOne
@brittany_baldi: nice #assgrab and #kiss @IamAdamKuhn  #AreYouTheOne #datassthough
@Jess_Daniellee: Yeah challenge winner!!! Let's see how this date goes... @MTV @AREUTHE1 #AreYouTheOne
@Jess_Daniellee: Team Tatas!! @AREUTHE1
@brittany_baldi: @SimoneKelly_ @MaybachDiamonds #frenchfries and #icecream #match are they a match? #AreYouTheOne
@amberlee091: Who's tuning in for the premiere of #AreYouTheOne ?? #MTV LOVING- thanks for the support everyone!!
@kklusby: First date with @IamJoeyDillon ? I'm excited but this could be a disaster πŸ˜‰ @AREUTHE1
@shandathapanda: I WIN CHALLENGES BETCHEZZSS
@IamAdamKuhn: Don't hate the playa hate the game! #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: Wish I was on that date! #AreYouTheOne
@IamAdamKuhn: @Jess_Daniellee haha sorry Jess!!
@Jess_Daniellee: “@IamAdamKuhn: @Jess_Daniellee haha sorry Jess!!” Tooooooool.
@chrisscali: who do you think ill go in the booth with #areyoutheone #teamscali
@chrisscali: here we goooooooo #truthbooth
@ryanmalaty: Moment of truth... @shandathapanda @TophsTweets #truthbooth #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: LASERS DON'T LIE #AreYouTheOne
@brittany_baldi: are @TophsTweets @shandathapanda a #match ?? what do you think? #areyoutheone
@Coleysia: 27 stand up!!!! http://t.co/ir9NjsGMqk
@chrisscali: no match!!!
@amberlee091: @amberlee091: @shandathapanda @TophsTweets NO MATCH!! So crazy reliving this moment. Love you guys!! #AreYouTheOne #mtv
@chrisscali: its a little early to decide that.. no?
@PaigeBrendel: Who is watching #AreYouTheOne right now? @MTV
@IamAdamKuhn: What's a Virgin again guys??????
@PaigeBrendel: Yay I'm happy to be representing the blondes! #AreYouTheOne @MTV
@brittany_baldi: tweet me! which guy chooses me at the #matchupceremony ? #areyoutheone #bostonstrong #teambaldi
@chrisscali: #teambrooklyn #teamscali whose watching !? #areyoutheone #mtv
@Andre_sinclair1: Who y'all think is my match?!! Y'all will have to tune in to find out!
@chrisscali: get #areyoutheone trending !! #mtv #teamscali #letsgoooo
@brittany_baldi: @EDiamond007  @ryanmalaty are #hottiesthough #areyoutheone #romantic #myboys #friends
@EDiamond007: @brittany_baldi @ryanmalaty you my girl Brit! #turndownforwhat
@ryanmalaty: Puerrrrrto Rico @IamAdamKuhn @illBeJacy #AreYouTheOne
@Jess_Daniellee: Worst date everrrrr, but hey you do have nice biceps. @IamAdamKuhn @MTV @AREUTHE1
@chrisscali: whats everyone think so far? #AreYouTheOne #teamscali
@IamAdamKuhn: @ryanmalaty my boy!
@shandathapanda: Love you all so much. Thank you for the support l love all of you.
@Jess_Daniellee: I'm a lucky girl. @TophsTweets @MTV
@IamAdamKuhn: Get it trending people #AreYouTheOne
@MTV: @IamAdamKuhn its trending world wide! #AreYouTheOne @AREUTHE1
@IamAdamKuhn: How many Rs people!!! Puerto Rico @illBeJacy
@brittany_baldi: how many beams of light do we get!? do we win #1millon ?? #areyoutheone #bostonstrong #teambaldi #followus
@Coleysia: It's cool. πŸ˜’
@ryanmalaty: I'm Spunky right now #AreYouTheOne http://t.co/b9zYZhXVWv
@PaigeBrendel: #AreYouTheOne is trending world wide!!!!! @MTV
@brittany_baldi: we're not here to find the perfect bed. here to find the #perfectmatch @shandathapanda  #drama #loveit #AreYouTheOne #beddrama @mtv
@chrisscali: and thats a wrap of the first episode!! #AreYouTheOne #teamscali
@ryanmalaty: I LOVED the first episode of #AreYouTheOne did you??
@chrisscali: thanks everyone for all the love and respect .. stay tuned #teambrooklyn #teamscali #annanicolesmith
@brittany_baldi: TWEET ME. WHAT WERE YOUR THOUGHTS ON #AreYouTheOne  ?? @MTV #bostonstrong #match #challengeday #dates #drama
@illBeJacy: and now I can breath lol #AreYouTheOne
@PaigeBrendel: I can't possibly reply to everyone but thank you everyone for your love !!! Xoxo tune in next week for more ! #AreYouTheOne
@IamAdamKuhn: Who is my Perfect Match!? What do you guys/girls think?!
@shandathapanda: I love all of you. So much.
@brittany_baldi: did you love @mtv #areyoutheone ? i did i can not wait for the #nextepisode #love #drama #friendships #dating #match @areyoutheone
@IamAdamKuhn: If anyone wants to see more pictures of me my Instagram is @iamadamkuhn
@Andre_sinclair1: Thank you man appreciate the support keep watching! #AreYouTheOne
@kklusby: What did you guys think? And who is my perfect match???  #areyoutheone @AREUTHE1 @mtv #premiere #perfectmatch
@Coleysia: “@DejaGirlxo: Beef between @Coleysia and @dillanhoward ???” Not at all!! 😊
@ryanmalaty: @MTV I think we may have a hit show on our hands #AreYouTheOne
@PaigeBrendel: Such a fun night with my cast mates @amberlee091 @dubbucks @EDiamond007 @Jess_Daniellee http://t.co/zYBtOmx3n7
@brittany_baldi: @PaigeBrendel @amberlee091 @dubbucks @EDiamond007 @Jess_Daniellee U SEXXY BUNCH OF SMOKES. TAKE SHOTS OF #FIRE 4 ME #LOVEYOU #AreYouTheOne
@ryanmalaty: First episode!!! Thank you all for the support :) http://t.co/NEqm42Qn0B
@IamAdamKuhn: Thanks for the love everyone!
@IamAdamKuhn: So thankful to have the opportunity to live in Hawaii with 19 other amazing people.
@brittany_baldi: shout out to my #areyoutheone castmates in ATL @Coleysia @IamJoeyDillon @SimoneKelly_  #represent #atl #mtv #LoveYouGuys
@Coleysia: Well tonight was nuts. Ready for next week now!
@brittany_baldi: THANKS FOR THE LOVE EVERYONE <3 YOU ALL ROCK. WICKED PUMPED FOR NEXT WEEK #AREYOUTHEONE #teambaldi #bostonstrong
@IamJoeyDillon: Shout out to my cast of @areuthe1 #areyoutheone #mtv mtv @brittany_baldi @ChrisScali @dubbucks kklusby… http://t.co/jbbvabncWl
@IamJoeyDillon: Had a great time with some of the cast mates at the watch party in #atl for #mtv #areyoutheone… http://t.co/bK4X66bN0J
@IamJoeyDillon: Had a great time with some of the cast mates at the watch party in #atl for #mtv #areyoutheone… http://t.co/siJTjUM4PB
@IamJoeyDillon: That smile though! joncobb ajensen08 @himorasky #smile #mtv #areyoutheone #areuthe1 http://t.co/b5VhliHDDp
@MiszModelChiq: Had a great night thank you to all who came out! Hope you enjoyed the show! http://t.co/VVfHarJoOj
@MiszModelChiq: @dillanhoward did you see how hard I was chewing my gum..? Ooooops!
@dillanhoward: @MiszModelChiq "I'm not having it" πŸ’
@MiszModelChiq: @dillanhoward hahaha
@MiszModelChiq: @IamAdamKuhn you're the best hahahaha
@MiszModelChiq: I lost all kinds of my voice! Hope you all enjoyed the show!!
@MiszModelChiq: I'm going to bed!! Goodnight everyone 😘b
@RyanDevlin: #truthbooth
@IamJoeyDillon: coleysia #smile !!! Hahahaha. Having a good time in the house. While drunk I might add! http://t.co/7a88rqrtS2
@IamJoeyDillon: At tonight's watch party. #mtv #areyoutheone mtv @areuthe1 coleysia @monieonthemic #follow #followme… http://t.co/9pG80cA1qB
@ryanmalaty: @RyanDevlin "Bringing sexty back" I love your challenge-day puns! Can't wait for next week's! #AreYouTheOne
@IamJoeyDillon: @RyanDevlin thank you for the "looking sharp" comment. You know. Just trying to be like you when I grow up boss!
@IamAdamKuhn: Sleep time!
@SimoneKelly_: Great Night...Great Castmates!! @  #MTV #areyoutheone #rollingout #cirocvodka #realityshow #realitytv… http://t.co/EdnWFrGFx7


> As I (and the Fans) Saw It
Before the fans' live tweets, we begin this section with the dialogue I had with members of the cast, beginning with the weekend before the premiere, and later in the last hours before that premiere, where some of the cast would eventually follow me on TW & IG. There's even a tweet from a member of Team MTV whose show was the buzz show last winter, and for which this premiere was the highest-rated MTV series premiere since her show, Buckwild, last year.

@dc408dxtr: #FF #AreYouTheOne @Andre_Sinclair1 @RyanMalaty @ChrisScali @Brittany_Baldi @IAmAdamKuhn welcome to #TeamMTV, can't wait to watch you Tuesday
- @IamAdamKuhn: @dc408dxtr @Andre_sinclair1 @ryanmalaty @chrisscali @brittany_baldi get ready mate! It's going to be a great show
@dc408dxtr: @Jess_Daniellee @dubbucks @illBeJacy @EDiamond007 we're 3 hours from #AreYouTheOne, hope you're all set for tonight. Good luck.
- @dubbucks: @dc408dxtr @Jess_Daniellee @illBeJacy @EDiamond007 thanks my man! Loving the support for the cast I hope you love this showing!
@dc408dxtr: @SimoneKelly_ @chrisscali @brittany_baldi @IamAdamKuhn 2+ hours from #AreYouTheOne, tonight it begins. Hope you're all ready, GL.
- @brittany_baldi: @dc408dxtr wicked excited! Hope you are too #areyoutheone #bostonlove
@dc408dxtr: @MiszModelChiq and thanks for the follow Ashleigh. Again, can't wait for the premiere, should be a good one.
- @MiszModelChiq: @dc408dxtr 😁😁😁😁

@dc408dxtr: Time for me (and folks out west) to watch the premiere of #AreYouTheOne, so off we go on that plane trip to the Hawaiian islands...
@dc408dxtr: Fact: #AreYouTheOne is @chrisscali's 4th TV show: in one of them he was on The Choice, which was also where we first saw @TheRealNiaMoore.
@dc408dxtr: That #AreYouTheOne $1 million prize pool: split 20 ways, $50k each. I wonder how those on #TheChallenge might feel about it. Hmm...
@dc408dxtr: Yep, this is getting real. We started rivals 2 with an argument, we begin #AreYouTheOne with an argument. And there's a hookup already.
@dc408dxtr: Well, this is familiar territory. Got everyone taking part in a weekly challenge. This'll be a good warmup for Challenge25. #AreYouTheOne
@dc408dxtr: How about @IamJoeyDillon & his backflip as he & @dubbucks win. Now a tiebreaker w/ @brittany_baldi & @amberlee091. Feet. #AreYouTheOne
@dc408dxtr: Its @Jess_Daniellee and @shandathapanda who join the boys as the winners. And they're off on a boat ride around Kauai. #AreYouTheOne
@dc408dxtr: Wow, we've got a local guy on #AreYouTheOne. It's @TophsTweets from Vacaville. That's pretty cool. #bayareapride
@dc408dxtr: But the truth booth reveals that @TophsTweets & @amberlee091 are not a match. But only EP1, nothing to worry about right now. #AreYouTheOne
@dc408dxtr: Correction to one of those previous tweets: it's @shandathapanda in the truth booth w @TophsTweets, not Amber. #AreYouTheOne
@dc408dxtr: They're at matching station, everyone's all paired & beams of light will determine how many are correct. I predict not much. #AreYouTheOne
@dc408dxtr: And it's in: 2/10. But it's just the beginning, it'll take time to eventually get this $1 million deal done. But great 1st EP. #AreYouTheOne
@_amdavis: I'm actually really enjoying this new @MTV show #AreYouTheOne !
@BigTymers228: Man I Swear All Of The Ladies On Are You The One Are Really Beautiful, Youthful & Gorgeous Oooh Lord #MTV #AreYouTheOne #AREUTHE1
@CSUAKirk: Where did MTV come up with one million dollar prize  when the challenge money gets lower and lower #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: Poor Dillion failed miserably  haha #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: " I wanna fuck every girl in the house @chrisscali  not only do u know @JayGMTV  but your going to be great on this show
@dc408dxtr: @CSUAKirk @chrisscali AK, do you know Chris was also on The Choice 2 years ago? And guess who else was on that show? Nia.
@CSUAKirk: @dc408dxtr @chrisscali  I knew nia was
@CSUAKirk: These cast members are crazy this is going to make some good tv #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: Lmao  at johns one liner about the dick pics #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: I wanna know who pitched this idea #AreYouTheOne  this is amazing
@CSUAKirk: Wes picked the wrong chick sucks to be you dude #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: I agree with them choosing Chris and shandly #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: I think shanly and Chris are a match #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: No way!!! #AreYouTheOne
@CSUAKirk: I'm guessing it'll be an extremely low number as it's episode one
@kmacisco: Are you the one is so good omg



Now to the wrap... As I wrote in my preview post a few hours before Tuesday's premiere, as more of a Real World/Challenge & MTV fan and sports viewer too (and because it's typically catered to a more female audience than men), I don't usually watch relationship shows like The Bachelor, though when my mom isn't working the afternoon/evening shift at work she makes sure to tune in. But, with my fave channel airing this new show, the money that is on the line if everything falls into place and great young people who share the same mentality as the rest of Team MTV of being very fan friendly in social media, I gave Are You The One? a viewing for a change.
   As Ryan wrote in his blog post [1], "It's like a combination of a dating show like the Bachelor, a reality show like Survivor, and a challenge show like Rivals. It's like nothing I've ever seen. Are You The One? will blow your mind." As someone who's now getting used to watching a little bit more of the reality competition shows in addition of The Real World & docu-series that I'm more at home in, this show does have that right mix of mixing elements of love, reality and competition to create a new kind of show that I can be comfortable watching.
   From this premiere, all that we saw there hints at everything we can expect to see coming up over the next couple months. It all began with the cast coming together to meet host Ryan Devlin and him explaining what they can all expect. Then, we saw the cast all move into their new house and, just as we saw on Rivals II, there was an argument brewing in the very first segment of the season, along with a hookup as well. The argument was between Shanley and Jacy, while the hookup involved DC comedian John and one of the three black girls in the house, Atlanta radio producer Simone.
   We then had the first challenge of the season (sounds familiar?), where all the cast had to take selfies of themselves for the opposite gender to identify which belongs to which. In the end, Wes and Joey took it for the guys (and with a celebratory backflip for Joey to boot), while a tiebreaker saw Shanley join Jessica in the winners' circle. There, they went on a nice boat ride along the island, while for the rest of the group, they all came together of who of those two should head into the "Truth Booth." After seeing them flirt right from the very beginning, they chose Air Force vet (and Bay Area native) Chris T. and Shanley to face the lasers. But in the end, they received a "No Match" message.
   Towards the end of every episode, those winners and the rest of the group joined R-Dev for the "Matchup Ceremony" where they all pair up with one another to see how many of the ten pairs are the same as in the complicated process that eventually brought them to Hawaii. Light beams will inform them of how many are the perfect match, and only two of the ten was right. I pretty much expected it to be a low number since this is the start, but it's just the beginning. They'll still have a lot of time between now and then to get to know each other, to become friends and ultimately find love in Hawaii.
   In all, it was a very good opening salvo to something I'm new with. We had hookups, we had a fight, we had some competition, we have a great cast. Yes, this is the same playbook that I'm familiar with from having watched three seasons of The Challenge and being a longtime Real World fanatic, but this is a whole new thing for me to watch a romantic reality show. And just as we've been seeing so far on Real World: Ex-Plosion, love will rule the day. And with 20 good-looking single people, anything is possible and romance, intrigue, tension and more is guaranteed. So, it'll be worth it staying up to watch it all unfold. It's just getting started in the islands.

With "Are You The One?" now underway, along with a Real World season that I've been enjoying so much that it's about to get even better, DC Blog will be on top of covering those shows on here. In addition, with the Grammys taking place tonight, and with the Sochi Olympics and Super Bowl XLVIII coming and other things that might be worthy of blogging about, we'll be on top of that too. Be sure to follow me @DC408dxtr with alerts to articles & interviews featuring the MTV family. For now, thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the premiere and until we blog again, stay safe and have fun.

- DC






Source:
[1] "And so it begins...", from Ryan's blog Earth to Ryanhttp://earthtoryan.com/?p=264

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).