Saturday, July 7, 2018

DC ExtraTime: AYTO AfterMatch - Shannon Speaks Out


BY DC CUEVA                     
■ @DC408Dxtr  TW / IG / YT

As we have now had our first glimpse of it at midway through this week's episode, the Match-Up Ceremony is always the most intense part of every episode of Are You The One? - if not tied for that room of lasers known as the Truth Booth. It's in this outdoor setting where hopes and dreams or $1 million live or die in light beams being lit into the night sky. And it's what happened in the last one before this that offers the context for this Follow-Up to something that happened on Season 5.

Philippines native and L.A. resident Shannon came to the Dominican Republic intent on changing around her dating habits, which after her last serious relationship saw her question whether love existed. A key story in the Caribbean was her relationship with Tyler, which saw them stay together for much of the season, one that was marked by other couples staying together long after they had not been proven to be perfect matches.
   The most-talked about moment as far as the game is concerned came in Week 9 when the girls had their pick, and faced with having to go for strategy and the house vs. her heart, she opted to choose Tyler over her intended house pick. And although the cast got to nine of the eleven beams they needed to win, her choosing Tyler proved to be the difference and the week after, their last ditch effort came up just short. Then, Shannon and Tyler were together for some time, but then had a very bad breakup with him.
   Back in June -- and three months after the season finale - and having to put up with so much hate being sent her way for being the one who let the cast lose, Shannon took to Twitter to respond to those haters who got on her at the end of that season, and then what happened when the romance she thought was perfect was anything but and then some. Originally posted as a screen-cap of something she wrote on her Notes app on her mobile, below is her response in rich text form.
"I just saw everything being commented on Twitter and I'm completely at lost with words. All I have to say is that my heart is too big and it gave away too many chances to someone who did not deserve it. I am not perfect and I will never claim to make the relationship I was in perfect. It had its ups and downs, hardships, love, laughter, and tears. As everyone saw on the show, I was very naive and truly wanted love out of it. Unfortunately, I made a foolish decision that ultimately cost the loss and I'll continue to forever take the blame. It made my relationship very difficult and it caused a lot of problems, but I always thought it would get better. i forgave after I was lied to, manipulated, embarrassed and betrayed and I accepted all of it. I took the harsh words, the constant ignoring, and the shady excuses and I brushed it aside. I lost my self respect, forgot my worth, and accepted the love I knew I did not deserve. Majority of people would agree that I gave a lot of affection and love and maybe a little crazy, but I never let it affect me. I always believed that love conquers all. But for all you ladies that have ever been afraid to stand up for yourself or to call someone out for their wrongdoings, don't. Don't be afraid to walk away from anything that doesn't make you happy. I don't regret loving someone as much as I did, but it's a lesson learned. Not everyone will be ready for the love you are ready to give them."
Since what happened that chaotic March night and then dealing with that breakup, Shannon has stayed strong and has even gained much support after airing things out on Twitter and a final fight with Tyler before he cut ties with her. But she's not alone in dealing with AYTO heartbreak, and just recently fellow Season 5 castmate Carolina, who had her heart broken by Hayden on Second Chances earlier this year, moved in with her in SoCal.


- I AM DC
#DCBLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).