Friday, May 17, 2019

DC ExtraTime: Simone Says, "Answer Ur Phone"

BY DC CUEVA                        
 @DC408DXTR  @ IG/YT/SC/TB

With The Challenge: War of the Worlds now into its $1 million final, soon it'll be summer in MTV land when How Far Is Tattoo Far debuts next week in time for Memorial Day weekend. Cheyenne and Cory will one of the many guest stars joining Snooki and Nico in the parlor, while the romantic reality series they were part of before they joined Teen Mom OG, her original series Are You The One and one of the many shows he's been on - Ex On The Beach - will be part of the summer slate... not to mention the series he got his start on Real World returning on Facebook.
   Very soon, we will be welcoming a new class of twenty or more new singles who will get the chance to fall in love and hope that they will leave paradise with both $1 million and their perfect match when Season 8 of AYTO comes along, and once again with the versatile Terrence J. as master of ceremonies. Five years ago, it debuted as one of the handful of shows that received the benefit of launching out of Teen Mom, and it has given us plenty of memorable romances and moments along the way. Season 8 will be a sexually-fluid season, as casting has gone out of their way to cast those from the LGBT community for the first time.

Simone w/ Terrence J. (IG)
One of the most notable figures of the group that paved the way for the likes of Devin, Tori, Diandra, Hunter and other AYTO alumi is Simone Kelly, who came to Hawaii for Season 1 in 2014 from Chicago via Atlanta. Those who lost some sleep to watch that original season remember her as the one who helped to break up the series' first big romance of Shanley and Chris T. when she sent him into the Truth Booth and to the Honeymoon Suites with another castmate, and sparking that big blowup with the Shans.
   Up until four years ago, the only way to get on The Challenge was being an alum of a past Real World or Road Rules season or being cast in a "Fresh Meat" season. That all changed with Battle of the Exes 2 when Simone was then part of the historical shift in the tide in that traditional choice of casting when she and three other members of her original cast -- John Jacobs, Brittany Baldi and Adam Kuhn -- went to Central America for that season, setting the stage for those from other reality shows joining the draft pool. Most recently, we saw Simone on Dirty 30 when she was part of a fight with another competitor in the Redemption House that was so vicious, it wasn't even aired.

She may have stepped away from doing reality television, but there is a good chance you'll hear from Simone again - this time on something that she's familiar with from the occupation she got to enjoy before going onto MTV: on the radio. The one who referred to herself as "Monie on the Mic" worked both on the air and behind the scenes at local radio in Atlanta before the opportunity to fall in love and win money came her way.
   Last year, Simone Kelly, the singer & songwriter, made her debut when she released an ode to moms everywhere on Mother's Day weekend with the track "Dear Mama." And earlier this year, she dropped her second single entitled "Answer Ur Phone" on all digital music platforms including iTunes, Tidal and Spotify. The song is exactly what you think it is: a plea to those who haven't gotten back to her voicemails and texts to respond as possible.

In an Instagram post that accompanied the release of "Answer Ur Phone" in late March, Monie wrote about her journey from being on four MTV shows to now embracing her new career path of music, something so many aspiring artists can relate to as she takes on this new frontier.
"When I first started this music journey, my biggest fear was what people thought and my therapist helped me to recognize that. 
   Today, I’m a real artist. I create something extraordinary EVERYDAY. I’ve invested a lot of my own money and time for my EP. I spend countless hours recording, writing for myself and others, and took vocal lessons because I take it serious. There were a lot of people who didn’t believe me when I said I was going to do this; friends, family, peers, etc. It only motivated me! Singing is like anything else you do, if you keep at it you only get better with time. I embrace the voyage. 
    This was one of the hardest things I’ve ever embarked upon. I respect artist so much more now, especially independent ones. You have NO IDEA what we go through and how much footwork it takes just to complete ONE record. Not including the “industry” bullshit that can never be avoided. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. Literally. 
    This process has showed me how strong I really am and all the things I’m intimidated by or may struggle with does not make me subordinate. All my songs are true stories. I leave it all on the beats. The heartbreak, fake friends, insecurities, & past mistakes all make me who I am. And I am STILL HERE! 
    Thank you to all my producers & writers for your the support.! Your creativity has contributed a lot to my confidence and creating my own sound! EP COMING SUMMER 2019🍾✨💕😘"

This week, she came to hometown hip-hop radio station WPWX Power 92.3 to return to familiar surroundings of the radio studio to guest host one of this shows and discuss her new track... and below is both that track and the music video for "Answer Ur Phone."








- I AM DC
#DCBLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).