Friday, November 23, 2018

DC SocialPulse Extra: Before The Challenge Final Reckoning Finale

*** Advisory: DC SocialPulse contains adult language and objectionable content. Viewer Discretion is Advised. Due to its long length, take frequent eye breaks if you're reading this top to bottom. ***

BY DC CUEVA                      
 @DC408DXTR  @ IG/YT/SC/TB

Hello there, and we hope you've been enjoying this Thanksgiving holiday weekend as we bring you into this week's look Inside MTV Reality with DCBLOG. It's been no ordinary week to say the least, headlined by the last act of a year-and-a-half long trilogy... and we'll have the finale of The Challenge Final Reckoning covered here tonight. Prepare yourself for the drama that's to come during a very special MEGA diary of the finale.
   Until that is posted here then, along with the leftovers from your big dinner last night - indulge yourself in this mini lead-up to Challenge Tuesday - which also marks the conclusion of the summer & fall portion of the 2018 MTV Reality calendar. And we'll also take a look back at two of the most notable cast members in the history of The Real World... that's all ahead.


IN BETWEEN 
@ChallengeMTV: Who gave the FUNNIEST wrong answer in this round of trivia?! πŸ˜‚ Catch up on #TheChallenge32 NOW before watching The Final on Tuesday at 9/8c! http://on.mtv.com/2PXYTTy
@ChallengeMTV: These two Challenge legends gave us one of the greatest eliminations in HISTORY! Do you remember it? πŸ’ͺπŸ’₯ #FlashbackFriday
@Marie_TBD: Late night Marie is a real fashionista. Just got a notification that my bid has been accepted?? Apparently the other night I went to auction for all things designer fanny packs.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­πŸ˜­Who am I??
@Marie_TBD: Just stopping by to say I’m obssesed with you both. @ImSarahRice @susie_meister @braincandypod #MarieFTW #Thechallenge32 you’re going to LOVE this final.
@kailah_casillas: Woke up today to my best friend handing me a gatorade and making me food. I’m a lucky girl πŸ™πŸΌ
@joss_mooney: Grateful for all the small things, big things & everything in between. Have a great weekend...πŸ˜ƒ
@johnnybananas: At 14 @kaseyharveySD was diagnosed with cancer and suffered treatments no child, or family should ever have to endure. Today marks 4 years since her diagnosis, she is not just surviving she is thriving! Heroes come in all sizes, and I know because Kasey is mine! Love you kiddo ❤

@ChallengeMTV: Has Tony met his match when it comes to eating!? πŸ€” Rewatch the latest episode of #TheChallenge32 and you be the judge... Link: http://on.mtv.com/2PXYTTy
@ChallengeMTV: It all comes down to this... Who do you want to win it all? πŸ† Don't miss #TheChallenge32 Final, Tuesday at 9/8c! πŸŽ‰
@ChallengeMTV: .@TheOfficial_CT makes his big screen debut πŸŽ₯πŸ‘
@GamerVev: Battle of the Seasons 2012 had the most iconic debuts: Marie, Nany, Frank, Jemmye, Knight, Zach, Devyn, McKenzie..... legends only πŸ™ŒπŸΌ
@HTChallenge32: The Challenge Battle of the Seasons 2012.  Episode 9: The Chronicles of Nanyia   Episode 10: A Woman Scorned.  -- Must see TV. Some of the greatest fights in challenge history. A season without the old boring Vets and a season all about the rookies. ICONIC!
@DerrickMTV: @ChallengeMTV OMG...what if @tonyraines and @johnnybananas come back as Mercenaries?!?! πŸ™Š
@kailah_casillas: I think I’ve laughed more today than I have all year combined

@ChallengeMTV: It was a long and winding road from the Redemption House to The Final, but Paulie and Natalie earned their ticket with this elimination win over one of the strongest teams in the house πŸ‘ #TheChallenge32 http://on.mtv.com/2PXYTTy
@ChallengeMTV: 17 teams to begin. 4 teams remain. 1 Final challenge and a $1,000,000 prize. Don't miss the season finale of #TheChallenge32 this Tuesday at 9/8c πŸ†πŸ’°
- @Marie_TBD: @ChallengeMTV Sometimes I’m an idiot... but this time I’m a FINALIST. Suck it haters.
@CoryWharton: http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/18/farrah-abraham-kailyn-lowry-boxing-fight-cory-wharton-teen-mom-og/ … SET IT UP πŸ₯ŠπŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°
@shannanity: My friend was fucking in the club last night πŸ™„ and you know what - more power to him. If that’s your kink and you’ve got the balls to go for it - Do!!! Also, I told the bouncer. I hope he got home okay 🀷🏻‍♂️
@tonyraines: Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game❗️
@SHOTOFYAGER: 🚨πŸ”₯πŸ’₯Guess what, Maniacs! @DerrickMTV & I just laid down a podcast giving our thoughts on #TheChallenge32 from last week, including the supposed controversy & what we know at this time. You can listen, if you’re a CM patron, over at http://Patreon.com/ChallengeMania  #ChallengeManiaπŸŽ™πŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸŽ™

@ChallengeMTV: Run like there's $1,000,000 on the line (because there is) πŸ’°πŸƒ Don't miss #TheChallenge32 finale TOMORROW at 9/8c! πŸ†
- @Stucki01: @ChallengeMTV And remember #TheCurseofJohnnyBananas....dont get to greedy #TheChallenge @tjlavin
@Marie_TBD: Tomorrow #CaraMarie run the @ChallengeMTV Final!!! Shout out to bb20stan on insta for the edit. #thechallenge #thechallenge32 #thechallengefinalreckoning #finalreckoning #MTV @MTV @CaraMariaMTV
@shannanity: Turns out I’ve jokingly used your pic too much @joss_mooney πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
@TheRightReality: Episode is up! Find out the inside scoop on the elimination we didn't see between @tonyraines, @johnnybananas, @NataliaNegrotti, and @PaulCalafiore_
http://www.therightreality.podbean.com …
- @Marie_TBD: @TheRightReality Some serious hottakes from my best friend @BrookeSiffrinn about the @tonyraines elimination rumors. #thechallenge32
@Marie_TBD: Also LMAO @CaraMariaMTV face after I said sometimes. Hahahah
@Marie_TBD: @kailah_casillas Please stop!!!!! Anyone who’s gonna say you’re anything less than stunning is literally not well.
@Marie_TBD: I say “IDK” a lot, but trust me... I BE knowing.
@JennCox_: I loved watching @Marie_TBD and @CaraMariaMTV compete with each other this season on the challenge. They are definitely my favorite duo! #KILLINGIT #GIRLPOWER
@ChallengeTea411: There was 2 eliminations last episode. In the second elimination (which was different than the first), Tony started puking blood, so the eating portion was called off. Production decided AGAIN to change the end goal of the elimination to who can hold their hands up the longest ☕️
@kailah_casillas: All of my birthday festivities are over and I’m at the airport about to head back to Vegas. I can’t wait to not drink and do a detox for a while. Back to normal life!
@kailah_casillas: This is the most painful day-after tattoo area I’ve gotten. My arm is swollen af and it hurts so bad 😫😫😫 WHY DO O DO THIS TO MYSELF
@CoryWharton: So if you’re scared of commitment how do you work on that?? πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
- @imdroc15: @CoryWharton Commit to the money, that ain’t never scary πŸ’―!
@JustJem24: Side note: I love Italian men. Y’all can call me 😘
@JustJem24: Some of y’all need to look up the word usually(in regards to my last tweet). Also white men just bc I USUALLY don’t date you doesn’t make me racist against y’all, it simply means I have a type and y’all don’t fit it.
@tonyraines: I just saw this story and it broke my heart. This man’s journey to raise money for childhood cancer was cut short in a fatal accident. Let’s fulfill his mission. Check it out! I donated to 'Cycling for kids with Cancer' -  http://gf.me/u/nr8iqf  via @gofundme
@angelababicz: James Dobson was trying to raise $10,000 for research for childhood cancers. His fundraising cycling tour turned tragic this week when he was struck by a vehicle in Mississippi. πŸ’” Please support the cause he died forπŸ™πŸΌ... Even a RT can help so much.
@johnnybananas: This story really hit me hard today. Please take a moment to read and donate to help fight children’s cancer. This man gave his life for it πŸ™πŸΌ #fuckcancer https://bit.ly/2KeDv7n  https://www.gofundme.com/kidscancersucks
@ChaIIengeMania: After suffering a devastating wrist injury & being eliminated JUST before the final of Dirty 30, by @DerrickMTV might I add, @hbarfield13 HAS to be the comeback challenger of the year! Can he have a storybook ending to his comeback season and WIN it all!?!? #ChallengeFinal
- @DerrickMTV: @ChaIIengeMania From shattered wrist to falling out of a Helicopter 🚁!! That would be one hell of a way to Finish a Story!!
@ChaIIengeMania: Boasting a surprising 5-1 record in elimination & only in her 3rd season, @SylviaMTV is looking to add a challenge CHAMPIONSHIP to her resume. She comes into the final after having an EPIC season but can she add a TITLE to cap off her best season yet!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@ChaIIengeMania: Spending a total of 12 EPISODES in redemption this season, @PaulCalafiore_ has truly had his redemption. Since returning to the game, he’s been DOMINANT and is riding sort of a hot streak into the final! As the only ROOKIE in the final can he overcome the odds!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@ChaIIengeMania: In only his 2nd season, @joss_mooney has made his mark!  With his endurance, looks, and don’t forget that BATTLE with @DerrickMTV last season, he is deserving to be in this final after a great season! Can he be the 1st to bring a challenge TITLE home to the UK!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@ChaIIengeMania: After getting her first elimination win since Battle of the Seasons (6 years ago!!!), @Marie_TBD avoided getting stuck in any baskets this season and has found herself in a FINAL! Can she complete a true underdog story and become a challenge CHAMPION!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@ChaIIengeMania: Already a challenge legend, @CaraMariaMTV is looking for BACK to BACK titles! Far from her best season, she failed to win a daily comp this entire season. However, this is her 3rd consecutive final! Can she cement her legacy as GOAT with another CHAMPIONSHIP!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@ChaIIengeMania: From WINNING Invasion, to going home BEFORE Dirty 30 began, it’s hard to believe this is only @MTVASHLEYBROOKE 3rd legit challenge appearance! Although struggling with her partner this season, can she prove the haters wrong & add ANOTHER title to her resume!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@ChaIIengeMania: In just her 2nd season on the Challenge, @NataliaNegrotti has been through the RINGER this season! The redemption mainstay has turned it around & taken out some of the best on her way! Can she complete this redemption story by winning a challenge CHAMPIONSHIP!?!? #ChallengeFinal
@Marie_TBD: I’m not a b*tch. I’m a teller of unfortunate truths.
@Marie_TBD: Is it weird that I’m my own sunshine on a cloudy day?? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ #thechallenge32 insta:Mar8e
@ChallengeMTV: 🚨 TOMORROW 🚨 #TheChallenge32 season comes to an unforgettable close 😱
@johnnybananas: The name's Bananas... Johnny Bananas🍸 #NoMakeup #HostBananas #BananasdoingNEWthings #MensFashion @1stlooktv
@SylviaMTV: I’ve experienced every emotion tonight! #ChiefsKindgom #ChiefsVsRams
@SylviaMTV: I’m literally so stressed out right now. #ChiefsKindgom
@SylviaMTV: Great game by both teams! We’ll get them next time. Great #MNF game! #ChiefsKindgom #ChiefsVsRams
@blairherter: This is the greatest @NFL #MondayNightFootball game of all time. #KCvsLA
@blairherter: BRO LIKE SERIOUSLY WHAT THE F AM I SEEING RIGHT HERE #MondayNightFootball #MNF #KCvsLA
@blairherter: This feels like I’m watching all the Rocky movies at the same time. #MondayNightFootball #MNF #KCvsLA
@blairherter: I am so grateful that we’ve got SO MANY years of Goff/Mahomes ahead of us. #MondayNightFootball #MNF #KCvsLA
@blairherter: Our community needed this. Great game, @RamsNFL!
@Urge2Pose: Best fcking game ever 🏈  Rams vs Chiefs
@Couturesworld: This Chiefs Rams game is the best game I’ve seen all season!!! πŸˆπŸ€―πŸ˜±πŸ™ŒπŸ½ damnnnnnnnn
@CSUGradAkirk: Have only watched since the last couple mins of the third but I know this game will be talked about for YEARS to come #mnf
@DerrickMTV: Yep...whether you care about Football of not, you should stop and enjoy ,The Artwork these 2 Teams put on display last night. The Art of the Gridiron. This was beautiful. Mmmwaah!
@TeenMom: Tonight on #TeenMomOG, @itskcheyenne and Zach discover that they may not be on the same page after all. πŸ’” Sneak Peek: Not on the Same Page #TeenMomOG is new tonight at 9/8c on @MTV.
@TeenMom: .@itskcheyenne’s priority is Ryder—including building a good relationship with her father. #TeenMomOG
@TeenMom: “I have to do what’s best for Ryder” —@itskcheyenne πŸ™ #TeenMomOG


CHALLENGE TUESDAY 
@ChallengeMTV: The grenades are BACK in a big way, and while the Challengers weigh the tough decision ahead of them, Hunter gets off on the wrong foot... πŸ’₯ Tune into @MTV TONIGHT at 9/8c to watch the season finale of #TheChallenge32 πŸ†
- @MTV_AMANDAG: @ChallengeMTV How was everyone so tight on their harness line coming down besides hunter? What in the fuck!!!!!!! That is soooo scary 🀭
- @DerrickMTV: @ChallengeMTV That fall thou....OUCH....good thing @hbarfield13 got a Turtle Shell.
- @NataliaNegrotti: @ChallengeMTV My mom is gunna throw a chancla at my head when she finds out I climbed out of a helicopter πŸ˜‚
- @kareem_fathalla: @ChallengeMTV This is going to be a fun episode 😈πŸ’ͺ🏽 Ashley is playing NO games
@joss_mooney: It’s the @ChallengeMTV season 32 finale tonight on @mtv 9/8c! #TheChallenege32 πŸ‘€
@Marie_TBD: Seriously so excited for tonight. This is what a season finale is made of... tears, laughter, money, and booze... wait. What? #thechallenge32
@Marie_TBD: Oh god. Black Friday sales are in full force. Somebody tie my hands up. Single white female addicted to retail.
@Marie_TBD: Be thankful everyday, not just thanksgiving, for those you love. Life is too short to wait for the Turkey to be done.
@DerrickMTV: Tonight is the Night @ChallengeMTV!!  What would you do if you could split a MILLION DOLLARS?! πŸ€‘  Get warmed up for 1 TEAMS CRAZY DECISION w/ a guy that’s run into one of the SCARIEST BEEFS in Challenge History! πŸ₯©  NEW POD! @AdamKingMTV @SHOTOFYAGER 🍁  https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/challenge-mania/id1204429149?mt=2 …
@DerrickMTV: "@ShimBo84: Yo @DerrickMTV what are you doing for #Thanksgiving?" RT Making my way to McAllen, TEXAS tomorrow night for a Pre-Thanksgiving BASH, then navigating my way back to WV on Thanksgiving DAY, finding my couch, locating the remote, turning on #DABEARS and prob nursing a WICKED HANGOVER like a SERIOUS TURKEY!! πŸ¦ƒ  Habout you?? πŸ€—
@MTV_AMANDAG: Good luck to my Lavender Ladies tonight on the FINALE of The Challenge Final Reckoning!!!! I always believed in you both and I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!! FUCK IT UP LETS GOOOO!!!!! @SylviaMTV @MTVASHLEYBROOKE #TheChallenge32
@Marie_TBD: "@Rissy504: @Marie_TBD Just wanted to tell you no matter the outcome I loved this season so much more because of you. You seem like a really great person and I am proud that you made the final. Next I want MTV to give you your own show." RT RT RT RT!!!! @MTV 😎
@Marie_TBD: I’ll never understand why it takes people SO long to put their stuff through security at airports. Are you new here? Never flew before?Prepare people. Shoes off, laptops out, xanex swallowed.
@shannanity: I cannot wait to see if any of my girls win tonight!!! We did it y’all!!! Xoxox to @SylviaMTV @MTVASHLEYBROOKE and even you my love @Marie_TBD ♥️😘♥️😘♥️
- @Marie_TBD: @shannanity Get ready for a SHOW πŸ‘€ #thechallenge32
@Marie_TBD: Taking off to LA and heading to @afterbuzztv once I land to recap tonight’s @ChallengeMTV final LIVE! Don’t miss it. Lots of TEA you don’t see. @PamelaGrossJill @jenna_bussiere #thechallenge32
@kailah_casillas: I had a dream last night that I got hired to promote for a subscription type box, sorta like FabFitFun where they would send you different types of candy every month.... and now I think dream Kailah might be onto something lol
@MTV_AMANDAG: Can someone fill me in on why ppl are posting that guy with the fat neck? I don’t get it lololol. Like what’s it about???
@ChallengeMTV: We know that Hunter can eat, and we now know that Paulie can eat... but Marie?... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Don't miss #TheChallenge32 season finale TONIGHT at 9/8c! πŸ†
- @Marie_TBD: I ate 8 plates of shit, including chicken hearts and lamb intestines... You're next moFO @ChallengeMTV #deadserious #illturnthisplanearound
@joss_mooney: Blood, sweat & tears tonight...literally.  10 weeks later, 17 teams down to just 4 & 1 million dollars. This is the final episode of The @ChallengeMTV #finalreckoning πŸ‘ŠπŸΌ  Tune into @MTV at 9/8C to find who won the million dollars!! 😈 #mtv #thechallenge32
@ChallengeTea411: Me watching Final Reckoning epsiode 1 vs Me watching Final Reckoning episode 20  #TheChallenge32
@Marie_TBD: You owe me a candle light dinner and couples massage for this one.
@PamelaGrossJill: Yes! Its true! @Marie_TBD is going to be live @afterbuzztv TONIGHT to DISH on the finale and we CAN NOT WAIT! @jenna_bussiere #TheChallenge32 #MTV @ChallengeMTV
@ZachAFaulkner: Rooting for my girls tonight!! @Marie_TBD  @CaraMariaMTV   #TeamCaraMarie #TheChallenege32 #thechallengefinalreckoning #finalreckoning
@ChallengeMTV: Grab your bestie and get ready for the season finale of #TheChallenge32! πŸ‘― On tonight at 9/8c πŸ†
@Marie_TBD: "@balanceciaga: @Marie_TBD @ChallengeMTV First of all, all that stuff is delicious you u cultured swine 😭 #africandelicasies" RT Avigil I'll taking being a "swine" over eating worms and cow nose every. single. day. To each their own.
- @kailah_casillas: @Marie_TBD Now you’re uncultured because you’d rather not eat lamb intestines?? LOL I hate everyone.
- @Marie_TBD: @kailah_casillas I'm actually extremely uncultured and that's before the cow dick
@NataliaNegrotti: @ChallengeMTV When you crunch into the worms they really do taste like nail polish remover πŸ’…πŸ½ who woulda thought?
@jossie_flores: Go @NataliaNegrotti and @PaulCalafiore_ πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œyou guys worked your asses off to get to this point let’s bring that money home !!!!πŸ€™πŸ”₯#TheChallenge32
@Marie_TBD: 02Allan & all other assholes discrediting me: Being a LAYUP in this game was NOT a good thing.Teams going into elim, wanted to win, so they wanted to go against"lay up"teams. Cara and I got 2 final by smart gameplay and TBH it was more me than her. I won our 1 elim, I KEPT US SAFE
@betchesluvthis: Who's ready for the Challenge: Final Reckoning finals??? Re-read @Marie_TBD 's recap before you watch: https://betches.co/2DEBQY8
- @Marie_TBD: @betchesluvthis Ha, perfect timing. "Haters will say Cara carried me."
@carlygarrison87: Doing our happy dance that the @ChallengeMTV final is on tonight! We are rooting for you @CaraMariaMTV and @Marie_TBD #TheChallenege32 πŸ•
@Marie_TBD: I used to base my career decisions on the amount of $ they'd pay me. One day my father put things into perspective and said to me,"They could pay you a million dollars, or they can pay you $100 dollars; ur still gonna spend it all" Money buys things, not happiness. Remember that.
@Marie_TBD: Hey @joss_mooney - can you please vouch for me that my ankle was the size of a tennis ball going into this final since you helped massage it. Thanks. love you. ready to spawn your kids whenever.
- @tonyraines: @Marie_TBD @joss_mooney I can vouch for it because I ran you Bananas organic anti-inflammatory pills the night we were eliminated
- @Marie_TBD: @tonyraines @joss_mooney Thank you Tone!!!! I ate the shit out of those. He was pissed. tasted like candy. LOL
- @tonyraines: @Marie_TBD And for that, you’re welcome 😊
- @Marie_TBD: @tonyraines @joss_mooney I was actually gonna @ you for this Tone but figured I was doing that a lot lately LOL
@Marie_TBD: @joss_mooney Thank you... last line was most important thought ;)
@Marie_TBD: "@QueenLegend6: @Marie_TBD Girl, don’t let those ignorant ass haters bring you down. You politically and socially worked your ass off to bring you and Cara to that final. You won the redemption and smart af. Now you’re doing a final even with a sprained ankle that shows your heart. Screw the haters!πŸ˜’" RT Thank you. It's just frustrating.... especially b/c I'm on a flight right now to LA and the little girl next to me keeps ripping a**
@MTV_NellyT: LegGO!!!!  The final tonite PPL @ChallengeMTV  #SEASON32 9/2 C @MTV #TYB @CoryWharton @hbarfield13 @joss_mooney
@tonyraines: Fun Fact: During this “Trilogy” (Dirty 30, Vendettas, and Final Reckoning) I’ve been to the finals or last elimination every season. Only person to do better in that stretch is @CaraMariaMTV @ChallengeMTV #TheChallenge32
- @Marie_TBD: @tonyraines Fun Fact: The only “Trilogy” daily win I had was during the gameshow challenge on Vendettas. #TONYTIME #thechallenge32Marie_TBD added,
@people: The Real World Star Danny Roberts Opens Up About Living with HIV: 'I've Been on Such a Journey'
@EW: Exclusive: Real World star Danny Roberts opens up about living with HIV and the costar he turned to for support
@HenryGoldblatt: I had the privilege of talking to former Real World star Danny Roberts, who wanted to speak out about his experience living with HIV. I was so impressed by his candor; he's hoping that by sharing his story, others will feel less alone.
@JazMTV: Finished my thanksgiving grocery shopping. The menu is Cornish Hens, honey baked ham, 3 cheese Mac n cheese, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy. broccoli cheese and rice casserole,collard and mustard greens, corn, yams and devil chocolate cake and pumpkin pie!! #southerncooking
@JustJem24: I’m tired of shopping and not finding what I want. I think I’m going to rebrand & reopen my online boutique in January so I have endless options available always.. drop some name ideas below πŸ‘‡πŸΌ
@SHOTOFYAGER: If you want to hear how @DerrickMTV & I rank the final 4 teams heading into tonight’s @ChallengeMTV then head to http://Patreon.com/ChallengeMania  & listen to our RECKONING REVIEW, made available to you all for FREE as a Thanksgiving Week Treat! Recorded from New Zealand! #TheChallenge32πŸ¦ƒ



▪       ▪       ▪


 #DCExtraTime 
On Wednesday, DCBLOG offered a look ahead to the upcoming 33rd season of The Challenge which is still filming during this holiday period, as well as the show that started it all for reality television. After 32 seasons on MTV, The Real World will soon move over to Facebook Watch in the new year, and in the past week or so, there were two stories involving two pioneering alumni of the original reality television franchise.

REMEMBERING PEDRO ZAMORA
During last week's episode coverage, there was a brief mention in the lead-up diary on who is the most notable alum in the history of The Real World, and there's hardly anyone who was around during that time or afterwards that hasn't heard of a person who brought awareness to one of the most important social issues to ever be covered by the reality TV original, and which has become the most well-known storyline in the show's history.
   Pedro Zamora came onto Season 3 in San Francisco in 1994: a Cuban-American who is gay, and who had contracted HIV, the virus that causes AIDS - and for which this week was revealed by another fellow alum which will explained in a moment. From that battle with AIDS to his relationship with Sean Sasser being confirmed by a commitment ceremony shown during that season, Pedro was the overarching figure of the season that changed it all for The Real World, even with the presence of the wife of a future senator, the ultimate Real World rebel Puck, and which saw two of their roommates become husband & wife.
   Pedro's story touched everyone who didn't even hear of MTV or the show, and it got the recognition of President Clinton during what would become the last days of his life as he fought bravely against the most prominent health issue of a generation. Pedro passed away in the early hours of November 11, 1994, merely hours after the finale episode of The Real World San Francisco aired, but not before becoming an icon to millions of Americans everywhere who were touched by his story. And it still radiates with everyone to this day, just as The Real World prepares to enter a new era on Facebook.
   On the twenty-fourth anniversary of Pedro Zamora's passing, his closest roommate in the San Francisco loft (and who is happily married to fellow original roommate Pam Ling), Judd Winick took to Twitter @JuddWinick to pay tribute to Pedro... that is featured below.

     TWITTER @JuddWinick
"It was 24 years ago today that Pedro Zamora died. A hard truth is that he’s been gone longer than he was alive. He leaves behind an eternal legacy that still inspires people all over the world as well as a generation of young people who weren’t born when we all came to know him.   We still miss him. I wish he had been to our wedding. I wish he could meet our children. I wish he could have been a father. I wish he could still fight for us. We need heroes. He’d be proud of what’s been achieved. He’d be enraged with all the injustice. We fight in his memory.   (Truth? When I think of him, I don’t think of “heroism”. I remember he was really funny. Gave greeting cards all the time, referred to every other buddy as his “best friend, didn’t like dogs, couldn’t sing, his highest compliment was “such a queen” and loved kids. He loved Pam so much that it always makes me cry when I think about it.  He loved Sean so much I barely can bring myself to think about it. (We miss Sean too.)   In a way we are lucky. We always feel like the whole world mourns his loss. But I truly wish everyone would try to remember what he did when he was alive, and less about the fact that he’s gone. We love you. We miss you."

A NEW ORLEANS REVELATION

Six years after Pedro in San Francisco, another gay man made his way to The Real World, this time in New Orleans: Danny Roberts made his way from Atlanta to the Big Easy as that guy who was handsome and full of charisma, and who also came to NOLA with something that had never made its way to the show or to much public interest before then.
   Without much intention, Danny became well known in that year's Real World cast for coming into the house with not just any boyfriend: that man was someone who was dating a military officer who was also gay. And it was during this time that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was the policy of the U.S. military on the grounds that if a member's sexual preference was put out there in the open, they would be discharged. MTV did not take any chances on Danny's boyfriend Paul, and his face was blurred out with respect to that controversial policy.
   After doing the original Battle of the Seasons challenge in 2002 as well as doing a memorable guest cameo on an episode of The CW's Dawson's Creek shortly after his Real World season ended, Danny receded from public view... and aside from joining fellow Real World alums for a chat with Bravo's Andy Cohen on Watch What Happens Live a few years ago, it was this week that he revealed for the first time something that has affected him for most of this decade... something that Pedro fought valiantly a generation ago.
   Entertainment Weekly spoke to Danny - now a digital design recruiter and dad to a adopted 2-year-old girl - where he revealed for the first time publicly that he is living with the HIV virus. In 2011, blood tests revealed that he was HIV positive after he fainted and woke up with blood around him. Roberts found himself in a state of shock and then in a difficult state of mind afterwards, but as time has gone on he has remained positive as in the years since his diagnosis the disease has become undetectable thanks to scientific advances as well as advice from his former roommate Kelley Wolf.
   World AIDS Day will be coming up in over a week or so, and with this news being put out into the public eye for the first time, Danny hopes that this will help reunite conversation on the same HIV disease that was once prominent in society and was part of Pedro's story, and to tell a new generation of people that they are not alone. The full interview is on Entertainment Weekly's website.


▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

Tonight at 10PM Eastern, the Pulse of the finale of Season 32 of The Challenge. Join us then, and enjoy your Friday.

- I AM DC
#DCBLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).