Monday, May 3, 2021

DC ExtraTime: Remembering Azaylia Diamond Cain

BY DC CUEVA                        
 @DC408DXTR  @ IG/YT/SC/TB/TK

All Photos Courtesy Ashley and Saiffya's
Twitter and Instagram Accounts.
Three years ago, The Challenge stretched its wings to include those from outside the U.S. making their American television debuts from around the MTV family, ultimately encompassing the entire world of reality TV. And those who came our way from Britain to begin this global invasion have made an instant impact in every season since they first appeared on Vendettas in 2018, with finals appearances on there, Final Reckoning, War of the Worlds 1 and 2 and Total Madness, and one title during that span.

When the second wave of British imports came across the pond and to Namibia for War of the Worlds in 2019, much of the attention was one of the UK's biggest reality stars and his relationship with an alum of its summer guilty pleasure Love Island while one of her fellow Islanders went on to finish 2nd in what is seen as the toughest final challenge ever contested. But there was also some focus on the man from the East Midlands who nurtured his career on the football pitch playing for Coventry City in the second tier of the English Football League Championship and in clubs below the Premier League.

Ashley Cain became much more well known in Britain as part of two series of MTV's global dating franchise Ex On The Beach, being the man in the middle of a love triangle with Melissa Reeves and Kayleigh Morris - two of the original five who went from being on MTV UK to The Challenge. He came to War of the Worlds and got paired with the leader of the latest generation of female challengers, Kam Williams, and they flew under the radar in making it to halfway through the season before succumbing in elimination - one of the handful of times that Killa Kam has fallen short of a final.

However in the time since he left that Challenge season, it was just during this past year that Ash became more well known in the UK as he took on the task of becoming a dad to his first kid. But little did he know when he welcomed her into his world that he would say farewell less than a year later.

In February 2020, Ashley and girlfriend, aesthetic practitioner in the West Midlands Safiyya Vorajee, announced on Instagram that they were expecting their first child... and that August during the midst of the worst of the pandemic they welcomed Azaulia Diamond Cain. He wrote on Instagram after he saw his young girl for the first time, "There is no words to describe this feeling. But she has opened new doors to my life and my heart. I could literally look at her all day and hold her till my arms give in. But mainly I will always be there for her as her daddy, her friend and her confidant! Daddy loves you baby, you’ve changed my life! ❤️❤️❤️"

However, it was two months later that Ashley and Safiyya received devastating news: doctors diagnosed Azaylia with an aggressive and scarce form of leukemia called AML, one that is found only in a small percentage of babies after they are born. Tumors were found in her stomach, lungs, kidneys and spleen which placed her into the intensive care unit and into critical condition, and doctors feared that Azalyia wouldn't make it past the first wave of chemo because of how rare and aggressive her disease was. 

He called this "The single most upsetting, terrifying and heartbreaking experience I have ever been through," as the father turned his attention to efforts to help save the life of his beautiful girl along with Safiyya... but the strength and courage within helped the young kid through two rounds of chemo without that much in the way of side effects.



For much of the next eight months, Ashley spent time in Azaylia's hospital room and then back home as he cherished as much time as he can with the pride and joy of his life, while he and Safiyya stayed positive. But more bad news would come their way: chemo itself would still not be enough to cure the young baby's leukemia fight, and the parents were told that she would need a bone marrow transplant. But because of the dual heritage of the youngster, the odds of finding a bone marrow transplant in that short a time frame were not so good... and her parents launched a campaign on GoFundMe and social media to raise awareness and to find a donor, which resulted in over 80,000 registrations the weekend after the appeal was made.

Before the transplant process began, the Lioness (as she was affectionally called by Ashley) began her third and most intensive round of chemo as doctors' forecasts showed a grim outlook for her transplant and for fatal complications which may take her life. Azaylia battled her way through this fight for her life as she surprised her parents and doctors and, as Safiyya wrote in her GoFundMe site, "She radiates a sheer love for life and battles through every stage with the most endearing smile on her face and strength in her heart."

But after the transplant, a bone marrow test showed that traces of leukemia were still in Azaylia's body - and if there was a remission in her disease she may not be able to to survive. And a month after, her leukemia had fully relapsed as she went back to the hospital for a 4th cycle of chemo as their attention turned to consulting with doctors from around the world if they can somehow find a miracle in a halpo transplant in Singapore for CAR-T therapy. They flew out to Asia after a tremendous outpouring of social media support that raised more than £1 Million on GoFundMe in a 24-hour period.

But the trip out to Singapore didn't go as well as they had hoped, and Ashley shared an emotional update on Instagram when doctors gave him and Safiyya the most heartbreaking news of their lives as he was overcome with tears.



As news spread of her leukemia becoming incurable, fans from around the world along with entertainers and athletes sent Ashley and Safiyya their best wishes, including people coming onto their doorstep to clap for Azaylia, similar to the gestures given to the frontline workers during the height of the pandemic last spring. But the biggest support among the entertainment community came from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson when he sent this video of support to the young family.



Azaylia's inspiring battle helped to raise awareness of childhood cancer, including Wembley Stadium in London and Niagara Falls on the American/Canadian border being lit up in orange. And while they were overwhelmed by all of the tributes, the most poignant came when a plane flew above her house with her parents by her side to create a heart and spelling the letter "A."
   Ashley wrote on Instagram below, "Right now I feel broken, scared and worried all of the time. But I am finding strength in trying to be the best father I can be, no matter the situation, for her. That is the least she deserves and the most I can give her, the best me I can be. There is one thing for certain though, I couldn’t be a prouder dad and a more blessed human to have such an incredible daughter. ❤️✨"
   And Safiyya added on @Miss_Safiyya_, "Today we all watched yet another wonderful tribute for Azaylia, as we stepped outside our home we was surprised with a plane 🧑. My heart filled with pride as I held you in my arms with daddy, and together we looked Up to the sky 🧑a love heart and the letter A was written in your honour, this melted my heart and filled me with warmthπŸ§‘πŸ™πŸΌπŸ§‘ Im so proud of you Azaylia, your beautiful I’m so blessed to have another day with you, I have never felt so scared nervous and anxious in my life, my heart aches heavy all through the day but being able to love are care for you is the biggest gift of my life πŸ™πŸΌπŸ§‘ Your battle against AML has inspired so many people to show kindness, This is so beautiful to see. You are bringing everyone together. Thankyou for all the beauty & lighting up the world for my little girlπŸ™πŸΌπŸ§‘πŸ™πŸΌ."




And a week ago on Sunday April 25th, Azaylia took her last breath as she ascended into heaven but not without one last courageous fight. The father wrote, "Rest In Paradise Princess πŸ‘ΌπŸΌπŸŒˆ. I will always hold you in my heart until I can hold you again in heaven ❤️😒 #AzayliaDiamondCain". And her mom added, "πŸ‘ΌπŸŒˆYou are my Angel my heartbeat my soul, RIP my precious baby, you will always be with me like a handprint on my heart 🧑 🀚 πŸ™πŸΌπŸ‘Ό 🌈"






When he eulogized his late daughter the day after her death, Ashley credited Azaylia with giving him a better appreciation of life through his short but precious time as a father. He wrote, "You gave my life purpose, my face a smile, filled my heart with love and my soul with pride. I can’t put into words my sadness and pain, there aren’t words to describe it. I love you with every ounce of my body and I miss you so much already. You made me a better man. You made me the person I’ve always wanted to be. You’ve taught me more in your 8 months than I’ve learned my whole life. I don’t know why you’ve been taken away from me and my heart aches in your absence."
   He added, "But I promise you that your name with live on. I will carry your name across every ocean, along every road, to the top of every mountain and across the whole globe. Your name will live, your legacy will be remembered and I will seek peace in living as your vessel to continue inspiring, giving strength, spreading joy and saving lives in your name, with your spirit, as your father until we meet again. You saved my life, you really did. With my second chance, I make a promise to you that I will make yours live on in our hearts, our thoughts and our prayers. I am blessed, I am honoured and I am privileged to be your father. I would go through all of the pain again and again. Because what you gave me in those 8 months will live with me for eternity."



When news came in of Azaylia's passing, the reaction radiated around the world with athletes, with fellow reality TV personalities and beyond joining in mourning her death. Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton, Manchester City's Raheem Sterling, British hip-hop artist TINIE, America's Got Talent host Terry Crews and Nikki Bella were among those who sent their condolences in the 175,000 comments that accompanied a photo of Ashley grasping onto Azaylia that has received over 2.3 million Instagram likes. And that included those in the MTV family who watched and starred alongside him on his two series of Ex On The Beach and his lone Challenge appearance.

● @georgialouiseharrison: love you so much her life may have been short but she inspired so many people and has saved so many lives encouraging people to sign up to the donor list. she has done more for the world than most people will achieve in 70 years and you two have given her the strength to do so xxxx
● @lateysha_grace: So sorry . I honestly can’t believe how strong you and your partner have been throughout this . Your the most amazing parents . I could only wish to have your strength. Rip to your beautiful little Angel πŸ‘ΌπŸ½ πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ¦ she will not be forgotten xxx
● @marns: I’m so sorry, I have no words πŸ’” rip azaylia ❤️❤️
● @vickypattison: I’m so sorry ash... sending love ❤️
● @gazgshore: So sorry mate ❤️ rest in peace
● @charlottedawsy: My heart is aching so much... what an inspiration she is the most bravest beautiful angel πŸ’” rest in peace angel πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”
● @samgowland: ❤️❤️
● @gazbeadle: So sorry mate ❤️ rest in peace
● @iamkamiam_: I’m so heart broken.. RIP little angel, she was such a strong little girl and a huge inspiration ❤️ sending so much πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½❤️❤️❤️
● @joshuaritchie1: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
● @aaroncgshore: Rest in peace 🦁❤️ so sorry to hear ash
● @djmelreeves: Thinking of you & your family ❤️
● @idrisvirgo: ❤️❤️❤️
● @jossmooney: I can’t even imagine how you’re feeling. Rest in peace champ! Sending all my love bro ❤️
● @mtvhunter: My heart breaks for you and your family I’m sorry brother ❤️
● @mrcalumbest: Bless u all man rip angel ❤️❤️❤️
● @guscalebsmyrnios: Rest easy sweet baby, head up champ ❤️ warrior
● @sophiekasaei_: This little girl has touched so much of our hearts and have gave such a bigger perspective on our lives. I’m so sorry for your loss. A beautiful girl that will forever live in our souls forever πŸ˜’πŸ™
● @realjohnnybananas: He heals the brokenhearted, and binds up their wounds - 147:3 πŸ™ Rest in paradise precious baby ❤️ #azayliadiamondcain
● @kylecgshore: Heartbreaking πŸ’” R.I.P little princess 😞❤️
● @paulcalafiore_: So heartbreaking brother. You all showed tremendous strength. She’s inspired so many ❤️❤️
● @lauryngoodman91: The strength you guys have shown your daughter has been incredible. Azaylia and yourselves have raised so much awareness on this condition. She truly is a fighter and my thoughts go out to you all. Rest in paradise little one πŸ’› ✨ 🦁 True inspiration ✨πŸ’›πŸ¦
● @westonbergmann: I’m so sorry, Ashley. Your family inspired many people to be stronger and that legacy will last forever.
● @nehemiahlclark: No words can be spoken. Thank you for sharing this journey and know the amount of support behind will always be around
● @natalienegrotti: RIP angel
● @chloe__goodman: Rest in paradise... no words could ever be enough to describe what a powerful little lion you are ❤️ Azaylia Diamond Cain you and your parents have shown how powerful love really is ❤️
● @tjlavin: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
● @cheynotshy: Rest In Peace little Princess ❤️
● @gabbydawnallen: So sorry 😒❤️ sending strength and love to you and your loved ones xx
● @jamiejchung: So sorry for your loss. Heart breaking.
● @brjotape: Brother! I’m so sorry to hear that. I can’t imagine the pain you’re feeling right now. But only God knows what’s best for us, and the reason of all that. You’re such a great father, and a good man. I’ll put Azaylias in my prayers and ask God to grant you a less painful grieve. Stay strong brother!


Ever since this ordeal began back last autumn, Azaylia Diamond Cain's battle with leukemia has touched so many around the world, and even more than a week after her passing those who were touched by her story continue to feel the emptiness in their hearts the same way her parents have since April 25th. On this side of the Atlantic, we know what that feeling was like when Diem Brown lost her battle with ovarian cancer, and to a previous generation of MTV fans when Pedro Zamora lost his life to HIV, and how both of their stories had the same amount of considerable media coverage and a global outpouring of grief when they died, the same way when Azaylia passed away over a week ago.
   It might be hard for us here to comprehend how important this story was overseas... take for example MTV's UK social media channels being more responsive to the news of her passing than here in America when the only reference to that news on MTV's digital channels was a post on The Challenge's Instagram account, with no MTV.com news story when other news sites covered her death. Still, while social media can be a bit overwhelming and even depressing at times especially now, Azaylia represented both an inspiration and a shining light for the nearly 2 million Instagram followers her reality TV and footballing dad has, and the 1 million who followed her mom as they went through these emotional eight months.
   In the last Instagram photo he posted of her still alive on April 23rd - and before she was rushed back to the hospital when she suffered a seizure on a stroll around their neighborhood, Ashley captioned, "Your determination inspires me. You impress me each and every day. I'm so proud of you.  I can't imagine my life without you. I have faith in you. My Champion. My Hero. I love you. ❤️." It wasn't just him and Safiyya who loved Azaylia... we all did too, and we'll never forget Azaylia too.


The rest of DCBLOG's MTV Reality coverage throughout the spring and summer of 2021, including The Challenge All-Stars, will be dedicated in Azaylia's memory.

- I AM DC
#DCBLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something on your mind? Let us know! But please be mindful and do not post spam or negative comments (due to that, all comments are subject to blogger approval... and we reserve the right to disable these sections if things get way out of hand).